my dd and thrift stores
Thu, 07-22-2010 - 2:15pm
hello!! as many of you know, im a strange person. lol
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-22-2010 - 3:41pm

I'm sorry :(

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-22-2010 - 4:48pm

I'm kind of surprised because at that age my dd really didn't care where the clothes came from. I had gotten a ton of hand-me-downs that my aunt had gotten from a neighbor which she sent to me. In fact I had clothes from the time she was a baby to about 8 or 9.

It is only now that she is a teen that she wouldn't be caught dead in hand-me-downs although she knows that I go to them for me a lot.

Perhaps you could get her something in expensive new to make her feel like at least she has something new for school.

I do know that I used to get my older cousin's hand-me-downs and sometimes they were good and sometimes not so it all depends.

signature
signature 
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-22-2010 - 7:51pm
Maybe dd heard friends talking of resale clothes. My son used to not mind resale clothes. We'd get good stuff. Then he got to like 4th grade. He wouldn't have nothing to do with resale or used clothes. I get good stuff at the resales. One time our son told me a buddy of his. Found an Armani Suit coat for 10$ in the resale. In excellent shape.

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-22-2010 - 9:32pm
If you wanted to resolve it, yo could tell dd that you budgeted $20 or whatever amt to her shopping at the thrift shop and offer to take her to Target or something to try to find clothes, then take her to the thrift shop. OR take her to the thrift shop and let her pick out what she liked...Just an idea. There is an article the the tightwad gazette about this actual topic.

April

mom to Maggie and Andrew

April

mom to Maggie and Andrew

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-22-2010 - 11:35pm

Oh ya, can't wait til my girls get to that age!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-23-2010 - 6:36pm
hello!!
iVillage Member
Sat, 07-31-2010 - 2:15pm
my kids didn't mind the thrift store part....but my girls definitely liked to pick out their own clothes from a very early age, they would have been upset with not going shopping

Sherry

happily married since 2003...a blended family with 4 kids, 2 beautiful granddaughters

Sherry<with 3 kids, 2 beautiful granddaughters

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-31-2010 - 3:21pm

hi! i just wanted to mention something about this since i used to be one of those kids.

basically, if i knew it was from the thrift store, i refused to wear it. but if my dad presented it to me with out knowing where it was from, i wore it. my dad just told me last year that almost all my clothes up to middle school were thrift store clothes but he quit telling me cuz i would make a fuss.

even as a child, the concept of wearing something that was worn by someone else (that i didnt know personally) gave me the creeps.

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Photobucket

Photobucket
Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers