Sponsored: Back to school clothes?

iVillage Member
Sponsored: Back to school clothes?
Tue, 08-03-2010 - 12:41pm

It's that time of year again! It can be fairly easy to cross items off your kids' school supply lists, but what about back-to-school clothes? Do you focus on getting the staples for school clothes or do your kids get a special "back to school" outfit for the first day? We'd love to hear what your strategies are for keeping your kids in comfortable clothes they love without breaking the bank.

Our sponsor, T.J.Maxx, offers back to school apparel you can really feel good about -- inside and out -- thanks to their 26 years of supporting Save the Children. During back to school shopping season you can find ways to give back to this cause by making an in-store dollar donation or purchasing a specially-designed reusable shopping bag.

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-03-2010 - 12:55pm

My mom used to buy us all (there were 5 of us siblings) really nice outfits for back-to-school.

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-03-2010 - 1:40pm

My two boys each get a first day of school outfit (or shirt). Gotta have that picture no matter how embarrassed they are :) :)

We don't really do a whole lot of shopping for new stuff because it's still hot here (in Iowa) for the first month or so of school.So they just wear their summer clothes. By the time they need new clothes, I can usually get them on sale.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-03-2010 - 2:40pm

I don't do a whole lot of shopping for new clothes for the beginning of the school year. My kids can pretty much still wear their summer stuff for at least a few more weeks. I do always buy new sneakers, and they might get a new shirt for the first day... but that's about it lately.

I

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-03-2010 - 4:18pm

My kids get a couple new pairs of jeans and a couple of shirts that they like, they each get new shoes and the boys get all new undies and socks. In fact, when I bring in the new socks, I take the old ones to the clothing bank. All new socks, enough to last the school year for both boys, just makes matching socks in the laundry so much easier. They get a new backpack if they need one, but are encouraged to use one 2 years in a row, and they get a new coat only if they need one.

Stratagies for keeping kids comfortable in clothes they love is easy, I buy on sale only, and I pick from the best deals in the stores. Last year, at the end of the school year, our walmart was getting ready to remodel and clearanced a ton of stuff. I bought shirt and pants sets for $2.50 each for my youngest boy. Even if he ends up needing jeans to wear with those shirts, I couldn't have bought a shirt alone for that price. Then, I had a coupon code for $10 off $10, and bought jeans for my middle boy. Sale and clearance prices saves my butt!

I also take the first day of school pic in front of the house every year, it's fun to watch them grow and change, and I share those with the grandparents.

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-03-2010 - 4:56pm

DS pretty much lives in basketball shorts and T-shirts or swim trunks the entire summer.

--Jenn

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-03-2010 - 10:43pm
uniforms he's only allowed to wear navy bottoms and white polos
Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-04-2010 - 12:40am

Ditto!

My kids get new sneakers and maybe a pair of jeans IF they have already grown out of last years jeans. But most time, they are still wearing their summer clothes until the temps get lower. Then we think about new clothes.

My DD pretty much stopped growing, so we will more than likely just replace any worn shirts this fall.

My DS (14) won't stop growing. I think he has topped out at six foot this month. So we will be definately replace his jeans this fall.

siiy 2009

IF YOU ARE DISTRESSED BY ANYTHING EXTERNAL, THE PAIN IS NOT DUE TO THE THING ITSELF, BUT TO YOUR ESTIMATE OF IT. AND THIS YOU HAVE THE POWER TO REVOKE AT ANY MOMENT --Marcus Aurelius

Happiness is an attitude. We either make ourselves miserable, or happy and strong. The amount of work is the same.
- Francesca Reigler

siiy 2009

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-04-2010 - 1:48am
lol... my ds will be 14 in December... and he is only 4'9"!! I keep waiting for him to really start growing! :D

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-04-2010 - 7:40am
at 14 he's only 4 foot 9? alex is 4 foot 3 at 6 and half course he's a head taller than everyone at school an dmost of the years that are a couple years older lol
Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-04-2010 - 11:04am

I usually buy one or two outfits for the new school year along with shoes

I have a budget and stay within it for the most part but sometimes I go over because I set a limit for all 3 girls not just one

my girls do get other clothes on as needed basis thru out the school year

Becky

Pages