Just need to vent

iVillage Member
Just need to vent
Tue, 12-16-2008 - 11:17am

A little background.... my husband works for my brother. This is a pretty good situation bacause it is Union so the company has to follow certain rules which helps so that we know a lot of decisions are not my brothers.

However, I am a little upset right now. Times are so slow for Construction Companies and so my dh has been working 32 hours since November 1. This has really affected our budget in a major way!( $600-$700/month)

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-16-2008 - 11:55am
FWIW-I would've been peeved too. Was the tv purchased with their own personal money or company money? It makes a difference IMO. I don't think you should cut hours and then purchase something so frivolous on the company dime and show it off to the employees, KWIM? I guess if it was bought with their own personal finances FOR the company in order to maybe improve morale could be another thing. They may be better off than she lets on or their definition of afford is different than yours, KWIM? At any rate, it would've irked me too either way especially since she is aware of your circumstances. Hope things get better for you in the new year.
iVillage Member
Tue, 12-16-2008 - 12:38pm

It was for the company with company funds : (

And no clients come to their office so I don't think it was for company moral. I think it is for personal use....

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-16-2008 - 12:52pm

oh honey i am so sorry. I get that way to. Except with my MIL. What drives me crazy is when I can't afford or not in my budget for toys or dvds for my DS and then she buys them, and then grips that she has to buy him things. So I feel you. And everytime she buys something she brags and brags....

But not for long b/c we will be like 10-12 hours away.

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-16-2008 - 2:19pm

It was for the company with company funds : (

And no clients come to their office so I don't think it was for company moral. I think it is for personal use....

That's what I'd assumed...and sorta took from your original post. Uh, yup, I'd be p*ssed. I know that $500 wouldn't cover a week's worth of your dh's salary but it's a slap in the face to people whose hours were cut, IMO. I don't know them personally of course so maybe they are just "out to lunch" about stuff like that. KWIM? Jeepers....
iVillage Member
Tue, 12-16-2008 - 2:36pm

Try not to be upset. I always try to remember two cliche's when I start to feel jealous.

1. You can't read a book by it's cover

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-16-2008 - 2:46pm

Thanks! I know all you said is true, it just stung when she HAD

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-16-2008 - 6:15pm

Ouch! What a insensitive thing to do. This same thing happened to us many years ago. My husband was working for a computer company. They informed us that there wouldn't be any raises, bonuses, etc because "times are tough and we need to

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 12-17-2008 - 9:14am
I'd be peeved too.