Sallie Mae!

iVillage Member
Sallie Mae!
Tue, 12-30-2008 - 7:41am

First off...I know now why people don't pay them! They make it too darn hard. I tried last night to pay off my student loan and spent over an hour on the phone with them. For some reason since my loan is not in repayment yet it wouldn't let me pay the interest, just the principal. I wanted to pay the whole thing off and be done with it.

After being sent to India (via phone) and going around and around with them I think I finally have it figured out. The kicker was at the end of the conversation the guy asked my why I wanted to pay the loan off. Ummm....I really don't like the idea of them charging me $4+ a day in interest when I can pay them off! I wish now I would have thought quickly and gotten smart and said: "You mean not paying you is an option?" Hindsight is 20/20!

Anyway...if all goes as planned I should be debt free other than my mortgage! WOOHOO!

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-30-2008 - 9:51am

What a pain! Good for you for sticking with it,

Laura

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-30-2008 - 9:52am

Good for you!!!

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-30-2008 - 9:57am
Thanks. I am making an effort to post all over more. Being home from work this past week and a half has helped as well! I am busy getting things ready, but still need time to chill. My BP is going up so I will not be surprised if bed rest is in my future. I will be all over then cause I will not be able to do anything else! :)
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 12-30-2008 - 9:58am
Oh I agree. I am just so surprised at how difficult it was to figure out how to pay the thing off. You would think there would be someone there that would know how to do it...
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 12-30-2008 - 10:50am

It's the India thing that bothers me the most. I always ask to speak to a state side supervisor and always get transferred back to the states. I never ever get a straight answer otherwise. If I have to spell every single part of my name and address and repeat my phone number 3 or 4 times, I'm just not doing it. Unfortunately, I owe Sallie Mae a gob of money and have for years. I could have paid off the loan 3 times in what I've paid in interest, you don't even want to know!

Good for you getting it paid off! I'd have just gone to the website, pulled the pay off amount and paid through that, much easier, and I can understand every single word!

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-30-2008 - 1:04pm

Oh I did go through the website...it just wouldn't let me pay the interest for some odd reason. The guy totally ticked me off when I told him I wanted to speak to someone who spoke English. He smarted back saying he was speaking English! UGH!!

What ticks me off even more about the India thing is that tax dollars were used to help bail out Sallie Mae and yet they are supporting people in India with a job!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 12-30-2008 - 2:32pm

Anyway...if all goes as planned I should be debt free other than my mortgage! WOOHOO!

You rock! Especially if you had the patience for an hour. I'm so jealous that you are paying off your student loans.

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-30-2008 - 3:01pm
A few months ago we paid off DH's Sallie Mae loan (10k) and they did NOT make it easy.

Emily

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-30-2008 - 3:44pm

That's interesting. I always pay a little more on mine per month and it says on the payment coupon (and website) that all over payments get applied to past due, late charges, then finally principal. But I'm wondering if I'm getting hosed--because if they only reduce the next month's payment that isn't affecting the principal like it should, is it? My monthly payment always shows up the same amount on my statement though but now that I think of it, dh's doesn't. In fact, every few months we get a $0 owed that month because of the overage, I think. I so HATE owing people money. I'm so sick of it! Anyhow, didn't mean to hijack w/ my rant since I as super thrilled for Tracey to being paying hers off. Someday I will write about mine being paid off. Someday.

iVillage Member
Wed, 12-31-2008 - 9:20am

<>

Hmmmm.

Emily

Pages