Help with Dish Network

iVillage Member
Help with Dish Network
Thu, 01-08-2009 - 1:17am

Hi, this is the 1st time posting here. Before my DD was born, DH & I both worked at very good paying jobs, plus got lots of bonuses. Now that I'm a SAHM, things are VERY differant. I do sell some things on Ebay to bring in money, but that is pretty limited.

So the problem that we're facing is that DH is most likely going to be laid off in 2 weeks. I'm really trying to be alot more prepared this time around, as we have to wait one week before he can even apply for unemployment (since it's the 1st of the year). I already have an appointment with WIC, and as soon as I have a check-stub from unemployment, I'll be applying for food stamps. I only have a tiny bit of savings, and I'll try to make that stretch as much as possible to pay all the bills. I'm really trying to avoid paying late fees on credit card payments, or having to shut off utilities. Hopefully, he should only be off work for about 2 months. He's in construction.

The problem I'm having is that I want to cancel our extra cable channels in order to save money while he's off work. I intent to keep the local channels, as we do watch alot of network shows, but it still stinks. We watch alot of channels such as TLC, History, Food Network, SciFi, and cartoon channels. My DH is really outraged about this because as he put it, "I'm being punished for not working". But I'm definately ticked off by his attitude, as this does affect me as well. I can put on video cartoons for my DD (she's 2), but there are lots of shows I'll be missing out on too.

The way the bill breaks down is this:
Top 100 w/ Locals - $37.99
DVR Service Fee - $5.98
Leased Receiver Fee - $5.00 (this one kinda sucks, but we pay it since we didn't buy receiver outright)
DISH Home Protection Plan - $5.99
Also we get dinged $5 per month by not having a telephone line plugged into the system.

So the total is about $60. By switching to locals only, it will go down to $32 a month. I already asked about differant packages, but the channels we really watch are not available ala-cart, and the only smaller package is some family package that doesn't have those channels anyway.

Also, we have satalite internet as we're in the middle of nowhere. Right now I've been paying for the "Platinum" pkg. ($80) which gives me pretty fast speed. But I'll switch back to "Silver", which is tolerable. That's only $40.

Does anybody have some fantastic advise? I wish I could change cable co.'s, but that's not an option. It would be so fantastic if they let you pick and choose channels, rather than making wade through 100 channels of mostly junk.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-08-2009 - 8:22am

Welcome to the board, and I'm sorry you are in such a tough situation.

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-08-2009 - 8:22am

Sorry, I don't have any advice.

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-08-2009 - 10:25am

We have the dish family package and I thought I couldn't deal without certain channels either but I have been for almost a year now.

Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.com
iVillage Member
Thu, 01-08-2009 - 10:29am

When our oldest son was born, we switch from Expanded Basic Cable back to Basic - just network channels, essentially. DH and I agreed to do it, even though we knew we'd really miss some of those channels. That was about 5 years ago and we've gotten used to it. We watch more PBS stuff, or turn off the tv altogether and do other things.

I agree that you need to sit down with DH and show him the numbers and tell him that this isn't a punishment because he's not working, but it's what needs to be done to be financially stable for the family.

Good luck!

Kris

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-08-2009 - 11:10am

Call Dish Network and see what they can offer.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 01-08-2009 - 1:35pm

Thanks for the advice guys. We do have netflix already, and I will keep that. Even paying the $15 per month was waaaay cheaper than pay-per-view movies every weekend, and buying DVDs. Since he will unemployed (and providint the weather is decent), I'll have him climb unde the house to install the new phone jacks. I also need one near my desk for my fax machine.

Dish Network didn't seem interested in helping me at all, which was frustrating. I would pay $2 per channel for the 3 or 4 that I really want. That would still save me over $20, and could cover 95% of the extra programs we both enjoy watching. And my DD has easily over a 100 movies of things like Little Bear, Thomas the Train, and Bob the Builder. So not worried about that.

And earlier this year, we had the cable turned off entirely for over a month, because I couldn't pay the bill. After we moved, they add $199 to our bill for the pleasure of buying & installing the internet satalite. When he was unemployed before, the bills just snowballed, and they demanded $400 right then.

So, we will see how it goes. I did use our Coca-Cola Rewards to get my husband a subscription to Popular Mechanics, and I got Oprah. And I'll take whatever money-saving tips I can get. :-)

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 01-08-2009 - 2:28pm
We had dish network for a while. We CONSTANTLY had problems with receivers and had to send them back.
iVillage Member
Thu, 01-08-2009 - 5:34pm

We do not have cable or dish network at all, and honestly if you're in a position of having to apply for food stamps, (IMO) that's a luxury that can easily be cut.

I understand the "punished" feeling though when giving up luxuries...DH is that way about playing WoW and feels it's his "only" relaxation so he should keep it, and for me that monthly fee is one of the first things "I" would cut from the budget...and if he doesn't qualify for unemployment it WILL be gone.

We have the lowest priced non-phone line internet service and it's fine for everything we need to do. This we will keep because it's helpful for applying for and searching for jobs....but a faster service is not needed (again IMO)

Sherry

happily married since 2003...a blended family with 4 kids, 1 grandchild and second grandbaby due in September

Sherry<with 3 kids, 2 beautiful granddaughters

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-08-2009 - 6:20pm
Okay, I hope I've reached a good compromise. I called Dish Network, lowered my internet speed, and then signed up with what they call the "Welcome Package". It was $14.95, just $5 more than the basic channels. (Don't know WHY they didn't offer this earlier!) But it does give us the Food channel, the History channel, and TLC, along with a few others I enjoy like CMT & HGTV. What we're missing is the cartoon channels I enjoy for my DD, and the SciFi channel. We're also missing TNT, but I hope DH doesn't notice. Whew, now I'm tired. :-)
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 01-08-2009 - 8:26pm
I have to agree that if you need help to buy groceries (food stamps), then you really can't afford to have Dish Network, Cable, or Direct TV. That money could be spent on the food. If you are in a contract (like we are) then you can have them suspend your TV for like 5.00 or 10.00 a month. We went for 3 mos w/o any tv (just moives that we already owned) b/c we couldn't afford it, and we lived!

Pages