Q: How much house?

iVillage Member
Q: How much house?
Sat, 01-10-2009 - 10:00am

A coworker of mine mentioned earlier this week that he is looking around for a larger house.

Emily

Pages

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-10-2009 - 10:14am
I'd not want a house that big.

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-10-2009 - 10:40am

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-10-2009 - 10:43am

Interesting question!

I like our house...I think it is the right size for us...it is a 4 bedroom 2 1/2 bath-1800 sq feet and we finished part of the basement into a family room which adds 600 sq feet- so total 2400 sq feet. Of course there are things that I would like to have, like a fireplace but I am content...it is HOME!- 14 years to go on our mortgage, and then it will be all ours...

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-10-2009 - 11:19am

Well I currently have about 1300 sq. feet for the four of us and two dogs and space is tight.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-10-2009 - 12:42pm

We just bought a house that is 3600 SF, because it was a really good deal. We looked at over 50 houses most where 1400 to 2000 SF and many of them cost the same or more than the 3600 SF house. The 3600 SF house was new construction and all appliances have 2 year warranties and the Construction of the house has a 10 year warranty since they are a National Builder. We paid less than anyone ($70,000 to 120,000 less) else in the neighborhood because the builder just wanted to get the house off the books. I always felt that anything over 2500 SF would be too much house for us. We even bought books on house plans for houses 2500 SF and under and considered building. I admit that I have more house than we need, but later when the market recovers we should have good equity in our home. The only reason we bought the house was because it was more house for our money. We live in a high cost area Northern Virginia and now is a good time to get a deal on a bigger house.

We wanted to spend no more than $240,000 on a house last August. Most of the houses in that price range were Existing homes that where 10 to 30 years old, one car garage and 1200 to 1600 SF. All of them needed upgrades and repairs which would cost $20,000 or more. When we found this 3600 SF house which is New Construction that was just reduced from $349,000 to 299,000 we put in an offer for 280,000 and for the seller to pay $10,000 in closing costs. They took our offer so with us not paying closing costs it was technically $270,000 and we got 2 times the SF for what we would pay $240,000 for plus $20,000 or more for repairs and upgrades.

Most of my neighbors are average people and aren't out to impress anyone with a big house. They moved further away from Washington DC so their kids could get away from the pressure of having brand name everything, and just be normal kids wearing their JC Penney Clothes and payless shoes. Having the big house was a dream that they just wanted for their family. No one has a fancy over priced vehicle either. Almost everyone has an SUV or Mini-van. I like the people here because they aren't out to impress anyone, we fit in well. I was worried that we moved into a snobby neighborhood at first and was glad to see everyone was just like our family. We only have 22 houses in the neighborhood.

We are putting our extra space to good use. We are using 400 SF for a homeschooling area, and I've turned another 300 SF into a home-gym with my existing workout equipment that I've collected over the past 10 years. We have both a livingroom and familyroom which I've never had before, so I have no idea what to use the livingroom for. we owned 3 houses before this current one, first was 1490 SF and cost $99,000 in 1998 in GA. Second was almost 2000 SF and cost 129,000 in 2000 in WA. The Third was 2100 SF and cost 121,000 in 2002 in AL. We moved a lot because we were military. As you can see we had sticker shock when we saw that a 2000 SF house in Northern VA would cost 250,000 or more. We jumped at the higher square footage for almost the same cost as the lower.

Good house deals are out their and we were lucky that we didn't buy a house at our last military assignment. Many military families are on orders to move and can't sell their houses, because they would lose an extreme amount of money.

It is nice that we found this Clearance House! It is tough to clean, but hopefully when the girls are grown and we sell it we'll make a good profit.

france

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-10-2009 - 1:06pm

My house is about 1800 square feet, and the size is fine except I have the worlds smallest kitchen (seriously, the longest continuous stretch of counter I have is less than 2 ft). So, I would love an extra 150 sq ft on my kitchen. But, other than that, my house is fine.

We are currently saving to try to move, but only because we have a long commute. Unfortunately, houses where we work are significantly more expensive, so it will cost more for a same size house. I wouldnt make a ton of sacrifices for a bigger house, but I will make some to reduce commuting time. It's worth it to me. DH and I work at the same place, but opposite schedules. So, he drives 45 minutes home, and I jump in the car and drive 45 min back. We would have a lot more time together if we moved, and that is worth the cost to me (if only we can save the darn downpayment now that our existing house has lost so much value).

Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-10-2009 - 1:08pm

I have NO desire to have a house that large. I grew up in a large house (we were a large family and needed it) and I HATED cleaning it. I also hated that we had to have the heat so low or air so high because it was too expensive to heat/cool it.

I'm not 100% sure of the square footage of our current home, but I would say it's probably in the 1200-1500 sq ft range.

All I care about is that no one has to share a bedroom and we have two bathrooms. We have both of those things in this house. So, I'm perfectly happy with my home. :)

Photobucket Photobucket

Photobucket

Edited 1/10/2009 1:10 pm ET by earnhardt.jr.fan
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 01-10-2009 - 1:12pm

I HATE MY HOUSE

it was a great deal and we paid off 2/3 rds of it with the profit we made from the sale of our way too small townhouse but its way way way too big.

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-10-2009 - 1:37pm
i wouldnt' give up things for a larger house... right now we have a 4 bed 2 bath 1700ish square foot house... and this point it works for us... we may be looking into a bigger house in about 5 years as the kids get older we think we'll need a basement instead of just a playroom like we have now... plus if we are lucky enough to get pg again we will need a bigger house... but we bought way under what we can afford at this point so that we could focus on other things so we wouldnt' be giving up anything for a larger house in the future

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 01-10-2009 - 3:09pm

Our house is 2000 sq ft. and it's smaller than all of our friends' houses. I think it would be fine if we would get rid of all the crap that keeps it clutttered. Right now I feel like it's too small, but that's because every room has too much stuff in it. And we certainly need a 3 car garage... no basements or attics here, so we need that space.

I wouldn't want to give up anything, though, for a bigger house. I love that we can easily afford our payment. We're in a wonderful location and within an easy commute for DH. Even with the downturn here in AZ it is still worth more than we paid for it.... I am a realtor and I know how rare it is here not to be upside down on a house.

So I guess to answer the original question, I would LOVE more space (3000 sf may be TOO big for us, though). However, I'm not willing to sacrifice anything to get it. :-)

Laura

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Laura

Pages