Dave Ramsey Financial Peace Class??

iVillage Member
Dave Ramsey Financial Peace Class??
Tue, 01-13-2009 - 10:42am

My church is offering the Dave Ramsey Financial Peace Class.

~Mary~

Visit our homeschooling blog:

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-13-2009 - 9:34pm

okay- i have a lot to say about dave ramsey, so i will spare you and keep it short.

dave ramsey didn't work for my family. end of story. he has good theories and ideas (some i still use) but his whole system is what i HATED.

Also, i don't believe you should have to pay $100 to learn how to save money, kind of strange to me. His book was given to us and you can buy his workbook also, those 2 together may cost you $50, that is at most what i would put into it. If you look around on the internet i am sure you can find sites that have his ideas/stratiges/etc for FREE.

This has caused a big

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-13-2009 - 11:34pm

Hi, My dh and I took the class at our church....well, I took the class and dh came once.

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-14-2009 - 9:03am

I haven't taken his FPU

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-14-2009 - 9:19am

i did not attend FPU but listended to the 13 cds on a long trip.

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-14-2009 - 9:24am
I have wondered how much of the $100 for FPU goes to Dave for the program, the workbooks,
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-14-2009 - 9:25am
Clark Howard is awesome!

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-14-2009 - 9:26am
I haven't taken the class either, but I have checked out many of his books from the library. He has a Financial Peace Revisited book that covers(I think) many of the topics in the class, so you might want to check it out before signing up. I don't want to pay for something that I can get for free ;-)
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-14-2009 - 12:51pm
We were debt free except our mortgage when we took his class. We really loved it and thought it was great and got a lot out of it. We are still kind of working his plan. But the thing is, I don't think that any one plan will work perfectly for someone. I think that people should always read books to better themselves. I think that there are so many finance plans and books out there and what will probably work for you, is a combination of other's ideas and your own ideas. That being said, Dave has great ideas that work for many people. Most of them work for us, but I use a lot of other people's ideas as well. Only can determine what works best for you and dave's plan might be a part of that. I certainly don't think it will hurt you financially to take the class.

Jennifer

Mom to 4 in Ohio

Getting Ahead Blog

Jennifer

Mom to 4 in Ohio

Getting Ahead Blog

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-15-2009 - 12:37pm

I haven't done that program myself but our church offers the Good Sense Budget Course.. It employs the same principles. Paying cash for cars, reducing debt by using snowball technique, envelope system etc.. Planning for things like college, compounding interest etc..

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-15-2009 - 7:51pm

Sorry-delurking for a bit here. :) Dh and I did FPU and it helped us a lot. We've not been good at implementing everything, but we are trying. If you are financially strained, the church may offer you a 'scholarship', which we did. It seems like a lot of time, but it gave us time in between sessions to talk things over and come to terms with what we wanted to do with the information presented.

There were two bonuses to going through the class. 1) When you graduate, you can go back to any class at any time at any place that's giving FPU--for free. 2) I was finally able to go to sleep at night. I used to be up for hours wondering and hoping about $$. I don't do that so much now.

Loral

Loral

Pages