America's Messiest House

iVillage Member
America's Messiest House
Thu, 07-01-2010 - 2:53am

Since I moved down to my mom's house 2 weeks ago, in preperation for this LO being born, I've had lots of time to watch more TV.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-01-2010 - 9:49am

I don't really understand it either. I have seen shows about hording. I have known two families in my life that kept garbage in their home (not stuff but real garbage-food, trash, feces...etc) wall to wall, floor to ceiling.

But I have seen it go the other way around too ...where people a complete clean freaks and everything needs to be sanitized before entering their home or your home.

I think it may be a OCD type of thing.

siiy 2009

IF YOU ARE DISTRESSED BY ANYTHING EXTERNAL, THE PAIN IS NOT DUE TO THE THING ITSELF, BUT TO YOUR ESTIMATE OF IT. AND THIS YOU HAVE THE POWER TO REVOKE AT ANY MOMENT --Marcus Aurelius

Happiness is an attitude. We either make ourselves miserable, or happy and strong. The amount of work is the same.
- Francesca Reigler

siiy 2009

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-01-2010 - 7:04pm
hello!! i know-i have watched those hoarding shows before and omg!! now i am a packrat, but i have gotten better in the last few years. my bro in law is a huge packrat and after cleaning up what he left behind when he moved out of here-i can understand a lil bit about how people can let their houses get so bad. i guess they get so far gone that the people just cant get out of it. my bil said that he just had so much storage space in this house that it was easy to put stuff in a drawer or shove it in a closet and then forget about it. my bil is one of those packrats where youre looking at this stuff going "seriously? why did you keep this??" leaky batteries, boxes from lost or used items, packing foam from big purchases(my sisters cario cabinet, their kitchen table, etc), grocery reciepts from years ago, etc. i cant live like that. i watched one of those hoarding shows and went upstairs in my attic and cleaned the next day-lol. i have one room in the basement that is used for storage. i have recently cleaned that up too-and in 2 weeks im having a garage sale and im hoping that alot of the stuff that i have set aside for that sells. then ill have an even cleaner storage room...anyway, sometimes watching those shows, i get mad too. like "how can you not know you have $5,000 laying around? thats not pocket change!!"
good luck with labor and delivery!! hopefully the baby comes when shes supposed to:-)
JOANNE
maman2goons@yahoo.com
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-01-2010 - 8:55pm

Good luck on your garage sale!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-01-2010 - 11:26pm

We watch those all the time. It makes me feel like I live in a pristine house! LOL

I'm with you though, I can't handle that much clutter. I like the main living areas to be very neat and calming. I'm ok with the kids' room and the basement being cluttered up a bit, but I have a tendency to go clean it. One time I cleaned out my kids' room while they were at school. DH came home and said "Did you see what Mommy did? She got your room so nice and clean you should thank her!" My kids ran in and said "Where's all our stuff?!" LOL

Good luck w/the pregnancy!!!

Jill

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Jill

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-02-2010 - 3:34pm

I'm with you though, I can't handle that much clutter. I like the main living areas to be very neat and calming. I'm ok with the kids' room and the basement being cluttered up a bit, but I have a tendency to go clean it. One time I cleaned out my kids' room while they were at school. DH came home and said "Did you see what Mommy did? She got your room so nice and clean you should thank her!" My kids ran in and said "Where's all our stuff?!" LOL

i did that last summer when my kids left for 2 weeks to visit their aunt in another state. i went one step further and had a garage sale before they came back!! LOL really-i didnt sell that much stuff...and i dont think they ever missed what i did get rid of. their room looked so great...and stayed that way for about a day!! after that-it was a mess-again. since we moved though and they have their own rooms plus a basement for all their toys-their rooms dont get too bad anymore. the basement does occasionally, but its out of the way so i dont mind as much. when i was a kid, i was a major packrat-i hated saturdays. cuz on saturdays, my dad would bring a garbage bag in my room and say "its time to clean!!" im glad he did though-or else my house might look like some of those houses!!!
joanne
maman2goons@yahoo.com

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-03-2010 - 3:54pm

I thought that was a very interesting show this time and unlike last year's family where the woman was in total denial (and frankly didn't seem a very nice person) this family really worked to bring it together.

My main observation is that their charity was the Grave's Disease Foundation. Grave's Disease is hyperthyroidism (I have it) and it is an autoimmune disease. Their daughter was diagnosed with it and I am wondering if the black mold in the basement either caused or contributed to her getting it because it put stress on her immune system.

signature 
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-12-2010 - 3:37pm

That sounds like Clean House. They do a series every year on The Messiest House is America. I saw the episode you are talking about--that house was the "winner". LOL

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-12-2010 - 3:49pm
I haven't seen the eposide that you are talking about...but $5000 I would be jumping for joy. I start detail cleaning my home tomorrow, and I got to tell you, I'm sort of looking forward to getting rid of some of the clutter. I am having a yard sale at the end of the summer and hopefully I will generate some revenue from that.

CafeMom Tickers

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-12-2010 - 9:06pm

I watch this show a lot; makes me feel soooo much better about us.

--Jenn