Is there ever enough money?

iVillage Member
Is there ever enough money?
Tue, 07-06-2010 - 2:53pm

DH and I have been married 4 years, together 12 and have lived on our own for 5 years now. We both work, me full time and he as many hours as his job will give him, usually 25-40 (they don't have "full time" so his hours vary each week).

Does anyone else ever feel that there is never enough money? We live and spend carefully but it still feels like there is never enough money! We don't have any debt except for our mobile home payment which is great but we really want to buy a house and get out of this trailer park. We don't have or want children but it seems as soon as our savings starts growing something happens and we have no money again!

We had a little over 5k in our account but then came the bills for the month and 2k for car repairs! So as soon as we start building money something takes it away! Plus, both of our cars have 60k miles on them. So right around the same time we will both need new cars. Mine was bought 8 years ago new but is now a salvage car because someone rear ended me. I am not sure how much longer it will last, as it seems lately everything is going wrong with it.

I know this is just life and it is the same for everyone but lately it is getting me down a little. We both work hard and live frugally but it still doesn't seem to be enough!

I am thankful for what we have and I don't want anything extravagant but it seems like owning our own home will never happen! So anyone else feel the same way?

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-06-2010 - 10:58pm
Just asked myself this SAME question. I make enough to live a comfy life, but I never have any extra to get ahead!! I just want a little money to buy a travel trailer or to take a vacation.....it's just not in the budget. And then there is retirement??? How do I save for emergency fund, retirement, college, etc......

Suz, Proud Single Mother By Choice to three beautiful children:

Suz, Proud Single Mother By Choice to three beautiful children:  a sweet daughter (born 12.04) and adorable twin sons (born 3.08)

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-07-2010 - 9:37pm

Same here. I'd love to have something extra to take a vacation, but the money just isn't there this year. My dream is to one day be able to take a vacation where I don't have to pack a jar of Goober Grape (peanut butter and jelly in a jar together), a loaf of bread, paper plates, plastic utensils, and a bag of chips to save money by making meals in our motel room. Or a vacation where we don't have a kitchen in the room so that I have to cook and plan every meal and clean up while the rest of the family sits and relaxes. My dream is to go on a trip...and it truly doesn't matter where....it could be in my own hometown! Just so I can go out for every meal and walk away from the dining table knowing that I don't have to wash a single dish. I hope that I can make that a reality one day. To me, that would be the lap of luxury. :-)

Pat

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-08-2010 - 9:18am

I completely understand...I have to always book a room with a fridge and that serves some type of breakfast, so that we can save money. When we went on vacation last year, we frequented the local restaraunts, off the beaten path and the IGA grocery store for our meals. I remember making quite a few meals in our hotel room. LOL

Fun doesn't stop does it. This year, I wanted to go camping, but with me losing my job, it doesn't seem to be happening.

CafeMom Tickers

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-11-2010 - 1:24pm
It sucks not having any money. Well not enough lately. I don't even know where this weeks grocery money is coming from. We are on slim pickings in the freezer. Oh I got canned good and a little other dry goods. Meat is running on empty. I think I will have about 65$ to spend on food. If I go to Aldi's I can make it stretch further. I just need to plan some meals. Make a list what I need for them meals. See how far I can make what little money I got stretch. At least till we close on the loan to get the basement fixed.