FOLDERS info. Need your opinions, please

iVillage Member
FOLDERS info. Need your opinions, please
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 1:56pm
I see a lot of posts asking about folders. I figured I'd just address it here, rather than reply to every post.

Yes, we will have board folders that correspond to the headings we used in the old format. I got an email dated at 1:00 a.m. this morning letting us know the boards would go live today, so we didn't have a lot of time to get organized. That and the fact that I'm dealing with a new baby, and our other CL is also dealing with family issues, doesn't bode well for us being on top of things. LOL.. Hope you understand and have a little patience while we get this sorted out.

Anyhow, we can have up to 16 folders on our board. These will be permanent. Meaning, they won't change daily or even seasonally. If we want changes made, they have to be submitted and reviewed and make take days or weeks to get processed.

My feelings on the matter are that we should be pretty organized with the folders, but that too many will be more of a burden than a help. For those of you who frequent other boards, have you gotten a sense of how many folders might work?

I'd really like your opinions on this. Especially from those of you who have set up the board in the morning.

These are the folders I could think of... but it might be too many. The way I wrote them is obviously too long, I was just trying to be descriptive for the brainstorming process. Any opinions?

1. Introductions / Roll Calls

2. Frugal Victories

3. Frugal Flops

4. Parenting (Kids, Pregnancy, Childcare, etc.)

5. Food and Cooking (Recipe Requests, What do I do with?, Menu ideas, etc.)

6. Around the House (Laundry, Home Repairs, Appliances etc.)

7. Etiquette/Parties/Gift Giving

8. Money/Budget/Finance/Bills Concerns

9. Shopping (Is this a good deal? Product recommendations, Groceries, Clothing, ...)

10. Frugal Resources (books, magazines, websites, etc)

11. Health/Beauty/Hygiene

12. Seasonal (Christmas gifts, Gardening, Halloween Costumes)

13. OT/Chit-chat

Leslie (sorry I don't have my CL hat on -- couldn't figure out how change between screen names yet!)

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 2:18pm
Thank you for posting this Leslie. I am having some difficulty figuring this layout out as well so please bear with us. With all of this going on I will try to be here more regardless of what is going on on my homefront. We don't want anyone to leave of course. I am trying my best to get with the program...email me if you have any questions and I will do my best to answer them. Here is my email addy(and also my MSN Messenger ID if you prefer to use that) kass100674@hotmail.com
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 2:20pm
What about RTA too (I far as I can tell, you can't respond to an archive in this format either) And as I said I would prefer to have the archives at the end so you don't have to scroll through them all to get to the new stuff (but that might just be me who thinks this way!)

But I think when the folders are set things will run much, much smoother!

Cool!

We appreciate all of the work its taking you guys to make this format more user friendly . . . so THANKS!!!!

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 2:25pm
Great point about the RTA, bumblingalong. Thanks for bringing it up :)
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 3:01pm
We won't need RTAs because the board won't archive. This is why the folders need to be decided on up front. If a person wants more responses to a message they posted in the CURRENT board format, all they'd have to do is find the message and reply to it. It would then get bumped back to the top.

If you need responses to something you posted before the new format was implemented you'll need to create a new post on this board.

Does that make sense?

P.S. Hi Kasandra! :-)

Leslie
cl-lfbennett @ Frugal Living

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 3:29pm
I like this list, especially if you can add folder descriptions along with the names.

1. Introductions / Roll Calls

2. Frugal Victories

3. Frugal Flops

4. Parenting (Kids, Pregnancy, Childcare, etc.)

5. Food and Cooking (Recipe Requests, What do I do with?, Menu ideas, etc.)

6. Around the House (Laundry, Home Repairs, Appliances etc.)

7. Etiquette/Parties/Gift Giving

8. Money/Budget/Finance/Bills Concerns

9. Shopping (Is this a good deal? Product recommendations, Groceries, Clothing, ...)

10. Frugal Resources (books, magazines, websites, etc)

11. Health/Beauty/Hygiene

12. Seasonal (Christmas gifts, Gardening, Halloween Costumes)

13. OT/Chit-chat

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 5:00pm
Sorry about the cl- hat. Like you I'm having trouble changing between my online selves here. What I wanted to say was do we really need a roll call folder? My reasoning is this:

1) We don't do roll calls all that often so the few we do could easily be handled in the general discussion or chit-chat section.

2) The roll call folders I've seen have been basically useless as to telling who is on here TODAY which is really the only thing I want to know in a roll call. Maybe that's just me, but I noticed when the cl's were playing with the board the roll call folder just seemed like a huge mess.

Just my 2 cents on the subject.

Christie (co-cl Nursing Toddlers)

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 6:25pm
I think those folders looks great Leslie! On the board I co-CL we called roll call "greetings and introductions." Might work well here too. As for number of boards, I think this type of board really would do well with more that less. Our posts here tend to fall into specific and predictable categories, which I think you've nailed with your proposed list. And if something doesn't work, you can always change it later. ;-)

HTH!

Jodi

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 6:38pm
I like your suggestions, and have nothing additional to add :)

Thank you Leslie and Kasandra for putting all of this together - I think the board will be just great once everything is in order :)

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 9:18pm
I posted above about other boards and their use of folders already. I only visited 3 or 4 other boards, so this is in no way a generality (knowing there are hundreds of boards at PP/ivillage), but I'm thinking that the list you suggested may have too many folders. I know you mentioned your concern about this. I looked over the topics and have a couple suggestions. I will not be offended in the least (as long as you aren't either). In an effort to minimize the number of folders, I came up with this:

1. Roll Call/ Introductions/ Polls

2. Frugal Flops/ Victories (members can signify Flop or victory with happy/unhappy icon or F/V)

3. Parenting (Kids, Pregnancy,Childcare, etc.)

4. Food and Cooking (Recipe Requests, What do I do with?, Menu ideas, etc.)

5. Around the House (Laundry, Home Repairs, Appliances etc.)

6. Money/Budget/Finance/Bills Concerns

7. Shopping (Is this a good deal? Product recommendations, Groceries, Clothing, ...)

8. Seasonal (Christmas gifts, Gardening, Halloween Costumes)

9. OT/Chit-chat (which can include those topics that you specified as folders that are not on my list)

Even nine folders seems like a lot, but I don't see how you could get any fewer. I really think that the sooner the folders are set up, the better this board will be. Maybe you could just submit a list of folders for now, see how it works, and ammend them at a later date if necessary. I know that you have a new baby and you said cl-opal has some pers. probs right now, so I wouldn't spend too much time trying to get "just the right list!" Many people will not adapt well to change no matter what you do! I'm still adjusting myself!

HTH!

Wendy

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 1:27pm
I think your ideas are great, esp. in combining Flops & Victories. We'll have them submitted today, so things should be up and running soon!

Thanks everyone for your help! :)

Leslie
cl-lfbennett @ Frugal Living

Pages