What to do with a dozen eggs?

iVillage Member
What to do with a dozen eggs?
Tue, 04-01-2003 - 9:39pm
I have a dozen eggs that are dated tomorrow, though I probably have a few more days. Outside of hard-boiled eggs, what creative thing can I do with them to make them fun for dinner? Does anyone have a good frittata recipe, or something else?

Thanks,

Melissa

Melissa, proud attached mama to Isabella and Juliana

Lilypie Baby Ticker

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-01-2003 - 10:17pm
Sausage Quiche-Recipe to follow

Brown one pound sausage,drain, place in 9x13 pan, top with one can green chilies-chopped(4oz.), one cup shredded Monteray Jack cheese, one cup shredded cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup chopped onion, 1 Tablespoon Jalapeno pepper(if desired). In a bowl, beat 10 eggs, 1teaspoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Pour over cheese. Bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 18-22 minutes or until knife inserted comes out clean. Cool 10 min. Cut into squares.

This stuff is great. I adjust some of the ingrediants by what I have on hand. This has a tex mex type flavor. Also makes a great appetizer. For a meal I simply cut the sqaures larger.

HTH Margaret

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 11:24am
How about breakfast burritos or homemade McMuffins for the freezer?

I was really sceptical about freezing eggs - but I made the breakfast burritos and they turned out really well and came in handy.

Burritos:

Scramble eggs, add onion if you like it

cook bacon, ham or sausage, and crumble

grate cheese

any spices you like

Place a bit of each on a tortilla (some ppl add salsa as well), and roll up, I always use a toothpick to hold it all together.

I then wrap each one in a paper towel and place into a large freezer bag and freeze.

Take one out, microwave for approx. 2 mins (depends on your microwave) and enjoy.

For the McMuffins, assemble them as the fast food restarant does and then again wrap and freeze.

Quiche can also be made, cooked and then frozen, either whoel or cut into slivces for a quick lunch.

If you do a lot of baking where you need just yolks or just whites, you can freeze them separately (but not together). Do a google search on freezing eggs for complete details on how to do it - I think you need to add a bit of salt or something.

Hth

Kim

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 1:49pm
Just so you know... the date on eggs really doesn't mean too much. By the time you buy them in the grocery store there is a pretty good chance they are about 1-3 months old anyway.

If you are making hard boiled eggs it's better to buy your eggs about 2 weeks before you want to make them (like for Easter Eggs!) because 'fresh' eggs won't peel easily. Instead, buy your eggs (I'm buying our 'easter' eggs next weekend) - and then wait and hard boil them in at least 1-2 weeks. This way when you go to peel them and eat them or make them into deviled eggs the shell will come right off!

:)

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-05-2003 - 6:30am
Eggs Stay Good For a LOOOOOOONNNNGGGG Time!

In the pioneer days, they would save eggs for as long as 8 months. As long as you turn them a bit every week, the yolk stays in the middle and doesn;t sink to the side. Of course, they didn't wash the protective oils off.

Your store bought eggs should be good at least 2 to 3 weeks after the date. THey are probably a month old or so already. You can tell if you boil them and they peel easily. That is a sign of age. NOT BAD, just age.

I have chickens and when they overload me with eggs, I cook up a big batch of scrambled and assemble breakfast sandwiches with ham, bacon or sausage and creamcheese. Then, I bag and freeze. I take them to work and they are a perfect breakfast. I have had to fight off people following me around because they smell so good! Really! LOL

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-05-2003 - 4:55pm
Belgian waffles sound good to me.

Or Dutch Babies...they are like a cross between an omelette and a pancake. Maybe like crepes.

Pound cake.

Hair conditioner (mixed with old beer).

Face mask with the whites.

Chinese stir fry with hot chili oil and some greens, served with noodles and sauce.

Salad (with or without potatoes) made with boiled eggs and plain yogurt, mustard and scallions.

Deviled eggs (yum).

Egg toss game with your children or husband (perform outside and let dog eat the spoils, good for doggie's coat).

Scramble and feed to kitty.

Science project for children...design a container that will prevent eggs from breaking when dropped from a certain height.

Stick under chickens to get yet more eggs. LOL.

Have fun!!!!

Sarah

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-07-2003 - 4:36pm
Since no one said it yet, how to tell if an (uncooked) egg is bad:

If it floats in a glass of water, it is probably bad. That means the innards have dried up and the egg is now less dense than the water. A good egg should sink or "swim" (stay in the middle), but never float.

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 8:43am
I've put it off long enough! I'm going to try making homemade breakfast sandwiches for my twin boys' breakfasts. How do you thaw them? Microwave? How long?

Thanks!

Heidi

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 9:19pm
I put them on a plate and nuke them 1 - 2 minutes.

I actually use 1/2 bagel spread with cream cheese. Top it with scrambled eggs and a precooked sausage patty. Walmart has some that are only like 3.50 for a 2 pound bag and they fit on bagels perfectly.

Anyway, I don't top it with the other half a bagel. I get 2 meals out of each bagel that way.

After nuking them for a minute, I touch the top to see if it is warm. If it seems lke it needs it, I nuke it some more. Mine are also half thawed out by the time I eat them at work.

Good luck!