Any lasagna experts?

iVillage Member
Any lasagna experts?
Wed, 12-10-2008 - 9:19am

We are hosting a holiday dinner with friends this weekend, attending a big holiday party next weekend where we are bringing a dish, and hosting Christmas day at our house.

iVillage Member
Wed, 12-10-2008 - 10:32am

I assume you mean the no boil noodles and not no bake.

You can make up as many pans as you want and freeze them before cooking with the no boil kind. You don't need to cook them before freezing. With those noodles, they come out better if you don't. You do need to adjust the cooking time. I think it is 400 degrees for 90-120 minutes from frozen. You don't need to thaw first. If you do, the noodles will absorb your sauce. Check the frozen kind at the grocery store in a similar size to your pans for an idea of oven temp and time.

Bake, covered with foil and check it 1/2 way to make sure you don't need to add any more liquid. At the end of the cooking time, uncover, add a layer of cheese and bake for another 10 minutes. No one will know it started as frozen.

Annette

Annette

iVillage Member
Wed, 12-10-2008 - 4:02pm

this is my lasagne snob opinion. I think the no-boil noodles are gross, they leave a very heavy starchy ick in the food and I don't eat them. I can tell in 1 bite if that is the noodles in the lasagne.

Personally, this is what I'd do. I'd go ahead and use regular boil noodles. Make 4 lasagnes now. You'll have 1 for each party, and another 1 for another time this winter when you need a dinner break with out eating out.

I always make up several pans at once. It only takes a few minutes more per pan rather than the entire prep time if I did them up fresh each time. We can't tell the difference between made up fresh or cooked from frozen (or even thawed then cooked).

Be sure you put them in glass dishes, the tomato sauce breaks down metal pans. Then, be sure you cover with sarah wrap first, then cover that with labeled foil before putting them in the freezer. Take the saran off before baking, but you can bake with the foil on, taking it off near the end. I just bake mine uncovered. I have baked from frozen and just added some time (put it in a cold oven, don't preheat, or you risk breaking your dish!)

I also have an outstanding sauce recipe, family recipe handed down straight from Italy, if you want it. it never fails to make a great sauce! I can shoot that to you in an email if you want it.

Leslie

iVillage Member
Wed, 12-10-2008 - 5:52pm
Yeah you can freeze them unbaked.

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-12-2008 - 1:59am

"this is my lasagne snob opinion. I think the no-boil noodles are gross, they leave a very heavy starchy ick in the food and I don't eat them. I can tell in 1 bite if that is the noodles in the lasagne."

Except for the no-boil noodles at Trader Joe's. Those are awesome!

Carrie
iVillage Member
Fri, 12-12-2008 - 1:25pm

Thanks for all

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-12-2008 - 3:50pm

" Carol, I never knew you could use the regular noodles and just not boil them."

Oh yeah, that's a shortcut we old folks used to take back in the dark ages before no-boil noodles were available in supermarkets :D Just have to make certain you use more sauce than you would otherwise.

Carrie
iVillage Member
Fri, 12-12-2008 - 8:07pm

Ha!!

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-15-2008 - 12:28pm

Can I just say that I didn't even know they made no-boil noodles? For many years I've just put the regular lasagna noodles in the layers and popped it in the oven. Guess I don't pay that much attention when I'm noodle shopping!

Kris