have a tried n true Margarita recipe?

iVillage Member
have a tried n true Margarita recipe?
Fri, 12-12-2008 - 6:24pm
I want margaritas tonight, but I'm not a fan of the marg mix. Anyone have a tried and true recipe??
iVillage Member
Fri, 12-12-2008 - 7:51pm

Oh yes! I like my margaritas on the rocks, no salt...and not frozen.

In a shaker with ice, for each drink add the juice of 1 small fresh lime (if the lime is really big, 1 should be enough for 2 drinks), 2oz of 1800 tequila (or whatever you have), and 2oz of triple sec. Shake and then pour into glasses with extra ice. Enjoy! IMHO, it has to be fresh lime juice...the bottled stuff is nasty to me.

I love these...it's almost like grownup limeade to me...so much so, that I could easily drink 3 or 4 of them (and then be very, very

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-12-2008 - 8:40pm

My recipe is pretty complicated, and probably expensive.

Drive to south Texas to Progresso (near Mercedes outside of Brownsville). Drive to Mexico border. Park car for $2, and then pay 25 cents to walk over International Bridge (and remember it costs 30 cents to return to the United States--Mexico charges more because they know you'll pay it to get back!!!). Go a couple of blocks south to the Canada store, which is on the west side of the street, and go upstairs to the restaurant that's not well marked, but is rather swanky. Order a margarita. Sit back and watch the crowds. And chill.

We order margaritas when we go out and have tried making them from scratch, etc. Nothing comes close to this restaurant's

iVillage Member
Sat, 12-13-2008 - 12:30pm

Lurker here but I just had to post.

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-15-2008 - 12:35am

so do you mix the limeade into juice and then use 6 oz, or do you use it as a frozen concentrate?

I did come up with a recipe. Thankfully, I also had a friend here who tends bar, and he tweaked what I had and made good margaritas. BUT, I only drank 2 and took 1 shot and I was literally on the floor. Turns out, the best bang for your tequila buck is the best quality stuff. I can really drink a lot and not feel much more than silly, and this was over the top crazy drunk with only 2 drinks...I won't be drinking again any time soon! LOL

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-15-2008 - 11:26am

Tequila can be evil! I love the stuff, but I don't drink it very often anymore...and it doesn't matter whether I have 1, or I have 10 (okay, this is a gross exaggeration, I never drink more than 2 or 3)...I wake up feeling it the next morning...

I agree that it must be good quality tequila!

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-16-2008 - 12:02pm
I've always just had Jose Cuervo (he is a friend of mine....) and never gotten this drunk with that, but this time, we upped the quality and I paid for that. I was seriously still buzzing more than 12 hours later!