Good drink for someone who never drinks?

iVillage Member
Good drink for someone who never drinks?
Sat, 12-20-2008 - 8:22am

OK so I am 36 and I have never drank but a few sips here and there of anything alcoholic. Everything has always been so nasty tasting that I cannot figure out how anyone takes any pleasure whatsoever in drinking! Even the smell of beer or wine turn my stomach. Now that I'm working, my co-workers go out for happy hour every month or two and I feel like a 12 year old getting sweet tea! So I need a drink that preferably tastes sweet and fruity with as little alcohol as possible because I have no idea how it would affect me. Ideas please! ;o)

Yes I am a dork.
Donna

Pages

iVillage Member
Sat, 12-20-2008 - 8:33am

I don't think I would go that route. I enjoy wine but I get headaches so I don't drink. Just get a gingerale - or a juice and be done with it. If alcohol isn't for you then it isn't for you don't force the issue. I also don't like drinking at all and then getting in a car to drive home - just doesn't sit well with me.

I have heard of Long Island Ice tea - no idea what is in it. I used to drink Cape Codders (cranberry - vodka) depending on who makes it you will either taste the alcohol or not.

Chris mom to DD-11, DD-8, DS-3
iVillage Member
Sat, 12-20-2008 - 8:46am

If I am not mistaking the ice tea are strong. I drink wine but I did google a sweet drink for you.

Malibu Relaxer...1.5oz malibu rum, OJ, pineapple juice and a splash of greandine.

iVillage Member
Sat, 12-20-2008 - 8:51am
LOL... ITA with pp, no reason to force the issue, if you don't like it, you don't like it and that's perfectly fine!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 12-20-2008 - 9:04am

I'd try an Amaretto Sour. I rarely drink as well and almost all alcoholic drinks taste nasty to me. Plus, when I do drink I only have one and it takes me forever to finish anything..the last time I had anything to drink was when a friend of mine was moving out of state and we went out to dinner. I had ordered one drink and by the time I finished it (way over an hour later) she was on drink number 4 or 5. Not to mention I hate the thought of spending so much $$$ on stuff like that.

But, anyways I do like Amaretto sours...It sorta reminds me of lemonade, and I've been told it is one of (if not THE) weakest alcoholic drinks. Don't know if it's true or not lol. And you know, like one of the other posters said, if it's not for you, don't push it.

Photobucket
~Liz
iVillage Member
Sat, 12-20-2008 - 10:46am

You are feeling social pressure to drink. Don't cave in to social pressure. Be yourself. And, be kind to your budget.

If you really feel the need to upgrade your drink, try

iVillage Member
Sat, 12-20-2008 - 10:51am

Oh no! If you are NOT a drinker, the last thing you want to try is a Long Island Iced Tea!! It is a mixture of vodka, rum, gin, triple sec

iVillage Member
Sat, 12-20-2008 - 11:37am
See I thought tea and figured maybe it would be mellow - eek. That is one tough drink. No don't try that one. How about water... Do 36 yr olds really feel pressure to drink because others are? Just curious. Or are you just hoping you find something you actually enjoy that is alcoholic?
iVillage Member
Sat, 12-20-2008 - 1:00pm
ITA with everyone. You don't want to do a long island iced tea. If you don't drink don't feel pressured to drink. Virgins are always a good option, and my fav is an amaretto sour. I can drink four of those before I feel a buzz. Maybe more. And I clearly don't drink now, but it is my #1 choice for an after work unwind drink without the effects of a headache or buzz. I usually just have one with dinner.

-Jan

Photobucket

Photobucket Special thanks to Katie (Hubbswifey) fo
iVillage Member
Sat, 12-20-2008 - 2:44pm

First, it's ok to be a dork! Second, I love Fuzzy Navels. That's orange juice with peach schnapps. Rather plain, sweet and tastes like orange and peach juice, and has low alcohol content. If you want to get completely smashed and need a ride home and a puke bucket, go with the Long Island Icetea, which tastes like sweet tea and is all alcohol!

Honestly, there is nothing wrong with just ordering your regular sweet tea. It's better for you, has fewer consequences and is probably much, much cheaper and tastier.

iVillage Member
Sat, 12-20-2008 - 3:08pm
Hmmmm....I really like amaretto (I mean "really" like, which is why we rarely have it in the house, lol)...but I have never tried an amaretto sour before, and now 2 of you mentioned it on this thread. I may have to investigate this the next time I go out with my girlfriends, lol....

Pages