Shopping at Aldi and saving lots!

iVillage Member
Shopping at Aldi and saving lots!
Fri, 01-02-2009 - 5:14pm

I had stopped shopping at Aldi because I didn't want to drive (it's not far.. I had just gotten lazy about wanting to drive there) and noticed that our grocery bill was slowly creeping up. I decided that I'd go back to Aldi and see if it would make a difference.

Last week I was able to get EVERYTHING on our grocery list AND a few extras for $105. Considering I bought enough meat and such to get us through 2 weeks -- I'm quite proud of this (BTW -- that $105 was also paper goods, shampoo and toothpaste).

I think Aldi has really worked on the quality (i.e; taste) of their food lately.

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-02-2009 - 5:54pm
Good for you for giving Aldi's another try! I am a big Aldi's lover and do my big shopping trips there before hitting any other stores. Imho, they have expanded what they carry and have made improvements--healthier versions w/their Fit & Active brand, more variety on produce, etc. Hopefully you have continued good luck there!
Kelly

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-02-2009 - 6:08pm
Even my husband was surprised at how good their stuff was. He's so picky. So, I was pleasantly surprised he liked things from there. He used to always complain about their stuff. :)
Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 01-02-2009 - 7:37pm

I would shop at Aldi's much more often if it wasn't cash/debit card only! I don't have a debit card, and I rarely have that kind of cash on me, lol...

The few times that I have gone there, I have been generally happy with what I bought.

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-02-2009 - 8:01pm
I was just going to ask about their Fit and Active brand. I was wondering how it was. I just got a flier from them in the mail today hyping that brand. I've been in our Aldi's recently but didn't do much shopping there cuz I had my 3 yr old. But I'd like to go and check it out again.
iVillage Member
Fri, 01-02-2009 - 8:07pm
Any of the Fit & Active stuff that I've tried has been good--microwave popcorn, almonds, ranch dressing, italian dressing, turkey meatballs (these are GREAT!!!), canned fruit. The F&A *hot pocket* sandwiches are awesome; I buy them occasionally for taking to work.
Kelly

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-02-2009 - 10:21pm

I agree, the turkey meatballs are great...and they aren't made with any wheat, which is even better!!

I also bought the grilled chicken breasts, which I haven't tried, but my ds said he liked them.

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-03-2009 - 7:42am

The closest Aldi for me

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-03-2009 - 11:05am
They got ok things at Aldi.

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-03-2009 - 1:27pm

Aldi takes debit cards and cash ONLY. They do NOT take checks or credit cards.

As for their prices, I wonder if it depends on your area. Our Aldi has excellent prices compared to the regular grocery store prices (yes, even WM -- who is by far the cheapest "normal" grocery store around!).

I won't shop at Save A Lot in this area -- none of them are in good areas anymore. The one that USED to be in a decent area closed and I can understand why -- the store was NASTY as all get out. Blech.

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 01-03-2009 - 1:29pm
It might be worth one trip to see how you like it, Laura. I'm impressed with their prices and I truly feel the quality of their items have gone up in the last year or two. There are still some things we don't like to buy from there (for example: we do not like their sliced cheese), but I think it's a great place to your basic items if nothing else. :)
Photobucket
Photobucket

Pages