What to do with buggy pasta?

iVillage Member
What to do with buggy pasta?
Tue, 01-13-2009 - 9:40pm

We seem to have a real problem with bugs in our cupboard. I'm not sure what they are, but their like a very tiny larve. I've been trying to use up the whole-wheat pasta I have in my cupboard. Last night I boiled some whole wheat pasta with flax seed, but it literally tasted like dirt. So we ate some left-over rice instead. It wasn't until I threw the box away, that I noticed there were a ton of dried, dead bugs. Though I don't think I saw any in the pot when I was boiling them.

Tonight I'm boiling Barilla Multigrain Penne. I poured the noodles into a bowl first, and saw 3 dead bugs in the box. I very carefully sifted through the noodles before putting them in water. But it should be fine, right???

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-13-2009 - 10:32pm

When you first buy the pasta, or rice or flour (or whatever grain you buy)...store it in the freezer for at least 24 hours. This will kill all of the bug larva. I usually keep mine in there for a few days to a week!

I personally would not eat any grain product with bugs in it. I once bought a huge plastic container of basmati rice...and neglected to put it in the freezer. Within a couple of months, it was teeming with bugs - they were crawling all over the inside of the container. I was so grossed out that I have never again forgot to put stuff in the freezer first!

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-13-2009 - 10:33pm
I keep pasta, rice, flour, sugars, barley, pancake mix, etc in the freezer to avoid bugs.
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-14-2009 - 10:03am

I had a problem with pantry moths one year...ewww.

1st)

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-14-2009 - 1:05pm

That's really gross about the bugs - Ewwww. LOL BTW, I haven't seen any moths, so I don't think that's what they are, but not sure. And don't think it's a weevil - my mom has those.

I will definately start freezing everything for 24 hours, though I don't have enough room to actually store them in my freezer. I don't have alot of large tupperware, but I do have 1/2 gallon mason jars. Also, I may borrow/steal a large jar from my mom's house. So I will start doing this for everything new I bring in the house, and try to use up the old items as quickly as I can. I definately tend to stock up, as we eat alot of pasta and rice mixes, and they're so expensive. Bleah, what a pain. :-)

I did eat the pasta last night, and it tasted ok. I just gave my DD the last of the rice. We had it with crock-pot chicken.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-14-2009 - 1:14pm
All dry products have a Tupperware container for the pantry. As soon as it comes in the house (bisquick, rice, cereal, crackers, pastas, flour, sugar, etc) it goes into it's own container. I can easily see how low I am on products and I have never had bugs. I do not do the freezing as others have suggested. Also I would maybe try a differnt grocery store or brand. Heather

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-14-2009 - 2:18pm

We found some bugs the other night while cook angel hair for spagetti. I noticed when I drained the pasta there was a big clump stick together and in the middle of the big clump was a dead bug - YUCK. I always lost it there. Not that I'm freaked out about bugs but I'm a tad bit freaked out about eating them.

We looked the in the plastic container we keep the pasta in (each pasta has it's own container) and there were more in there. DH dumped the pasta out and checked through it - he dumped the bugs in the trash (and then took it out) and I chucked the clump of pasta with the dead bug. I didn't eat much that night and for being quite the pasta fanatic (liek could eat it everyday) I haven't been all that into it lately.

I have eaten mac and cheese with bugs in it before - UGH - though half way through when I found the bugs i chucked the rest of the mac cuz I couldn't bear to put anymore in my mouth.

I'll have to try the freezer idea! - Not much room in the freezer and we buy angel hair and mac and cheese buy the case, but I could probably manage a big for 24 hrs to kill the critters. We keep our extra food in the basement too! Maybe that has something to do with it.

~Erin

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-14-2009 - 2:55pm
Let me just say that this entire thread is about to make me puke!!! ;-)
Kelly