What do do with 1 1/2 cups heavy cream..

iVillage Member
What do do with 1 1/2 cups heavy cream..
Mon, 07-12-2010 - 12:21am

Had to buy a pint of heavy whipping cream the other day for a cheese cake recipe, but it only needed 1/2 cup for the recipe.

--Jenn

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-12-2010 - 6:40am
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-12-2010 - 7:08am
You can make quiche. Take the cream add 4 eggs combine thoroughly. Add what ever type of veggies, meat, and cheese to that. Maybe a few sprinkles of nutmeg or spices of your choosing. Pour into one par cooked pie shell. Bake till set. I usually bake at 350 in my oven. As I have a convection oven.

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-12-2010 - 11:26am

If you have children, let them make butter with the remainder of the cream. It will keep them busy for a while and they will learn something too!

Put it in a mason jar (with tight lid) and shake shake shake!....keep shaking!

siiy 2009

IF YOU ARE DISTRESSED BY ANYTHING EXTERNAL, THE PAIN IS NOT DUE TO THE THING ITSELF, BUT TO YOUR ESTIMATE OF IT. AND THIS YOU HAVE THE POWER TO REVOKE AT ANY MOMENT --Marcus Aurelius

Happiness is an attitude. We either make ourselves miserable, or happy and strong. The amount of work is the same.
- Francesca Reigler

siiy 2009

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-12-2010 - 9:33pm
The butter made this way is sooooo delicious on saltines or home made bread. It's a really fun thing to do also. We have all of the kids make home made butter for both Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner. Keeps them busy and shows them a bit of kitchen Chemisty:)

Suz, Proud Single Mother By Choice to three beautiful children:

Suz, Proud Single Mother By Choice to three beautiful children:  a sweet daughter (born 12.04) and adorable twin sons (born 3.08)

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-12-2010 - 10:18pm

Use it any place you would milk for a wonderful flavor-except over cold cereal--too thick. I prefer to mix it 1/2 and 1/2 with water to extend it and cut the fat. Or you can dilute it with whatever milk you have on hand--skim, powdered, etc. to make a "thin" tasting milk a little bit richer.

Even watered down that much it lends a wonderful flavor to whatever you add it to that's richer and more flavorful than milk.

You can make mac-n-cheese (storebought or homemade), oatmeal, cream soup, coffee, hamburger helper and other casseroles, mashed potatoes, pudding, etc.

You don't need to use it straight up unless you just want to. And, yeah, quiche is a great use... as would be a cream pie. Just supplement with milk if you don't have quite enough cream.

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-13-2010 - 9:30pm
I was thinking it would be a yummy treat in coffee. Freeze it in ice cube trays and put a cube in your coffee.
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-15-2010 - 10:50am

1) You can never have too much cheesecake - make an extra to freeze.

2) I scream, you scream, we all scream...

3) I love the kids/butter idea

4) We never have trouble using up heavy cream around here; it disappears into coffee if it doesn't wind up on berries.

Please pass a slice of Carol's quiche!

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-16-2010 - 11:25pm

Mix the cream with milk to make ice cream http://hubpages.com/hub/Homemade-Ice-Cream

Alternately, you can mix the ice cream ingredients together, freeze them in an ice cube tray. When they're mostly frozen, put it in your blender to make a thick milkshake.