Help with using up pantry items

iVillage Member
Help with using up pantry items
Mon, 07-26-2010 - 1:02pm

I'm not doing a total grocery exile, but as I have no more room in my pantry I need to get rid of the tremendous amount of food I have in there! Please give me ideas for meals/snacks I can make using this food. I don't mind buying additional ingredients.

Here's what I have:

lots of canned tomatoes, sauce, paste

3 can marinara sauce

7 cans chunk light tuna (my family won't eat this plain - like in a salad - they will only eat the white albocre. I have to hide this in a cassrole or mix the light and the white.)

flour, oil, sugar, yeast, vanilla, baking powder

corn meal

3 to 6 cans each of these: corn, green beans, baked beans, carrots

7 cans pink salmon

2 cans red salmon

5 boxes soup - black bean, corn, pepper, chicken, cream of mushroom

4 cans tomato soup

several boxes soup mix

2 bags bean/split pea soup

about 40- 50 individual snack items like chips, applesauce - will use these in lunches (but they don't last THAT long with 5 kids ;)

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-26-2010 - 3:57pm

Here is a few ideas I had hope this helps some

for the tuna my dh mixes it in mac n cheese or tuna noodle cassrole (tuna,noodles and cream of mushroom soup and some parsley) bake

triscuits make good pizzas (put marinara sauce,some pizza cheese and pepperoni than bake

Becky
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-28-2010 - 3:34pm
hello!! wow-you have a full pantry dont you? my pantrys pretty full too, but not quite that full! a few ideas:
-mix noodles with the canned tomatoes. my dds love this-we sprinkle a lil parmasean cheese over the top.
-make breakfast one night for dinner. make pancakes. mix in blueberries or chocolate chips. you could make eggs with this...maybe some bacon or sausage.
-make spaghetti.
-chicken marinara. chicken patties covered in marinara sauce and then melt mozzarella or provolone cheese over top. you could serve this over noodles if you wanted.
-make jello. mix in fruit.
-make summer salad. get some marshmallows and cool whip. drain some of the cans of fruit and mix in this stuff. usually its 2 large cans of fruit (or 3 of the small ones), a 10 oz bag of marshmallows and 2 12 oz cool whip(or the off brand stuff). we make this at work but we add shredded coconut to it. you can add that or some crushed nuts.
-soup and sandwich.
-tuna helper. you could buy it or make your own. make some noodles, melt some cheese in and mix in the tuna. you could mix in some peas with it.
-make cupcakes or brownies. you can make these with applesauce instead of oil.
-tuna sandwiches. my sister just gave me a new recipe-mix in some garlic powder and caraway seed. it gives the tuna a whole new flavor. my sister in law mix in hard boiled egg in hers. its like a tuna/egg salad sadnwich.
-macaroni salad. you can use any noodles. add hard boiled egg, celery, tuna, peas and tomatoes with the miracle whip. or make the noodles-add ham, salami, veggies
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-29-2010 - 12:17am

Oh...I have lots of ideas!!!!!

Meal 1- Parmesan Chicken- Pound flat the chicken breast, dip into breadcrumbs and pan fry both sides until done, top with marinara sauce and parmesan cheese, serve over pasta. Serve a side salad.

Meal 2- Italian Chicken over rice- Chicken pieces (from the rest of the chicken), canned tomatoes, mushrooms, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper to taste. Put into a crock pot or stove top, cooked until chicken is cooked through. Serve over rice. Serve with some homemade breadsticks. (flour, salt, yeast, water, oil, sugar)

Meal 3- Sweet/sour Chicken- Bread some chicken breasts pieces and deep fry. Toss with Sweet/sour marinade (or follow directions and ideas on package) Serve over rice.

Meal 4- Pizza (look up a recipe for crust- flour, yeast, salt, sugar, oil)

siiy 2009