On a huge cooking today for freezer

iVillage Member
On a huge cooking today for freezer
Fri, 08-27-2010 - 3:10pm
I did some shopping first. I got all this different meats cooking now. There is a oven crock of stew meat,a meatloaf and a pork roast. When it's all done I will portion out for the freezer. The stew meat some will be beef stew. Some will be stroganoff. Then Then maybe some will be beef ragout. I also got some ground Italian beef I will cook up for in spaghetti. Will do some cooked hamburger and make sloppy Joe. Then want to cook up some boneless chicken breasts that can be used in different things. Like stir fry, soup, casseroles etc. On the days I work. I can pull my container of meat from the freezer night before. Make up some sides. Make up meal plates to be covered in plastic wrap. Then all our son has to do. Heat his and his fathers meal and serve. I used to buy them Oncor dinners. Them are so loaded full of salt and preservatives. They're really not that good tasting. But in pinch I'd have some on hand. No more. It's as easy to spend a day cooking meats from time to time. Portioning out in the freezer for meals. Then I know what's in it. I can season it any way I like. Now my work schedule is 1-6pm. I won't be home till 7pm. Dh don't want to wait till then to eat. Our son can cook some things. But nothing real difficult. He's not good at cleaning up afterwords. If I plate up the meals. All there is, is 2 plates 2 forks and 2 drink glasses. Nothing more than a 5 minute fix.

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-28-2010 - 11:31am
Good planning, Carol! I know from experience it helps to have those already-cooked meals in the freezer. You're right, much better for you and way better tasting than most of those store-bought convenience foods.
Kelly

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-29-2010 - 5:44pm
I kind of got to go in the freezer. Reorganize it all. Then start thinking menus which days will be what. That a precooked item will be on a day our son has to heat up dinner. I might go in the freezer this evening and see what is really all there. things that have been in the freezer a while. I want to put that stuff up front. So I use it soon.

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-30-2010 - 11:51am
That's great you got so much done!
Photobucket