Meat Questions

iVillage Member
Meat Questions
Thu, 09-02-2010 - 1:44pm

I finally got around to costing out our basic meals and they are running $6 to $7 for dinner each night.

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-02-2010 - 3:47pm
hello!! i havea few ideas that might help stretch the meat a lil further...first what about homemade pizza? you can just make a veggie pizza, a cheese one
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-02-2010 - 7:39pm

I check to see if your local store has a pick 5 for $20 or similar deal since most meat is priced a little more than $5 a pack (I know my local store has this deal)

I usually by the frozen chicken breast when on sale for 5 for $20 or 4 for $20 depending on the sale if it is a 2 day or a week sale

maybe make a roast

Becky
iVillage Member
Sat, 09-04-2010 - 10:29am

My family doesn't eat casseroles well, either, due to sensory issues. When stretching meat for my family became more difficult, I just started serving occasional meatless meals. One ds is a big meat eater, so meatless nights are not his favorite, but he's adjusted.

Our meatless meals are mostly pasta or potato dishes. My family doesn't eat rice very well, so we don't have it as often.

One way that I *have* been able to stretch meat is to use it in a sauce or gravy (such as chunks of chicken in gravy over potatoes/toast/rice, or bits of sausage in sausage gravy over biscuits, or chicken in a green salad, etc). On rare occasion we'll top our potato dishes with bacon bits or leftover ham, and occasionally we'll top pasta with pieces chicken or kielbasa sausage.

You asked about chicken legs/thighs. We don't eat them a lot, but I've found that they are an economical way to serve a small portion of meat without making it look so small. If I only cook up one leg or one thigh each, the kids can't fill up on meat, but they feel like they've had a full portion. I'm in a high priced area, but with sales I can semi-regularly get legs/thighs for under $1/lb, and leg quarters for $.59/lb.

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-04-2010 - 4:52pm

My kids aren't big on casserole type dishes either (unless it's something like a baked ziti or lasagna), so dinners around here are usually a piece of meat/fish/poultry, a starch and a vegetable. I find they will eat things like a stirfry though, so I makes those frequently (last night was Chinese beef & broccoli over rice).

I don't love chicken breast, so I tend to buy chicken thighs instead - usually skinless and boneless, but sometimes I buy them on the bone/skin. They are cheaper, and imho tastier than the breast meat.

I buy pork chops with the bone, which are usually cheaper. I like the bone better, it adds more flavor to the meat.

I buy London Broil a lot when it is on sale. A small one will feed the three of us (dh is a vegetarian) easily - it always looks like more meat when it is sliced up thinly. There's usually even enough for one lunch the next day. I can get them for around $5 on sale.

I also buy shoulder lamb chops. They are fattier than the loin chops, but way less expensive. These are only occasionally though.

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-04-2010 - 5:38pm

I would try chicken thighs. There are some good recipes for bone in thighs and the boneless skinless are actually yummier than the chicken breasts. We tried them once and DH refuses to eat chicken breasts in some of our recipes now since the thighs are more flavorful.

I am not very good at recipes so I don't have any great recipe ideas. My DH doesn't eat pork so I don't fix it (although it seems so much cheaper than everything else!).

I buy roasts when they are BOGO and they usually make a dinner (we make a mexican dish or just a crock pot roast) and it will usually do leftovers the next day as well. I buy all our ground beef (at least 80/20) in bulk. I know that Sam's club generally has the 75/25 at REALLY good deals but DH can tell the difference.

You said that you don't like leftover meat but what about the kids? I have a few meals I make that are just too spicy for the kids so I have to make them something else. The kid generally don't know its leftover :)

Good luck! I don't know where you are from but $250 a month for us would be impossible. I buy on sale, in bulk and don't buy any fancy food and we still spend about $450-$500 a month just in food. The prices have gone up and I just can't make it work on our original budget of $400. And we don't drink nearly as much milk as you do (here 5 gallons of milk a week would be $40 a month!).

Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.com
iVillage Member
Sat, 09-04-2010 - 5:39pm

I have been using my crockpot more lately and have found the meat shrinks less when I cook it in there then when we grill it.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-07-2010 - 4:09pm

We are meat lovers and there are times I have to stretch the meat and no one seems to notice. When I have to do this, I mix my meat with other ingrediants.

I will make things like Chicken Alfredo/ chicken carbona- I can use 1/2 chicken breast (boneless) sliced thin and mixed into the sauce. Then I use veggies to make fillers- squash, or sliced carrots, celery...etc.

Italian chicken- Lots of tomatos, chunk cut the chicken breast and use mushrooms as fillers

Chinese chicken- LOTS of carrots, celery, squash, mushrooms and very thin slices of chicken breasts.

Recipes like this are served over rice or pasta so

siiy 2009

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-08-2010 - 7:05am
Thanks!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-08-2010 - 7:08am
That does sound like a good deal!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-08-2010 - 7:13am

I've tried the meatless meal thing and it didn't go over so well with DH and one DS.

Photobucket

Pages