Troop Website ideas?

iVillage Member
Troop Website ideas?
Fri, 06-02-2006 - 12:18pm

I'm starting a website for my Girl Scout troops.

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-02-2006 - 2:51pm

If I were you I would make sure you follow the girl scout National Council guidlines regarding setting up troop websites. I would not put any event locations, dates or times on the calendar. (see Guidlines). I would treat the calendar as a reminder FYI (check the newletters handed out at the meetings for more info). Make sure you also have each girls parent sign the proper interent release forms. I would also have the girls do the internet safety pledge. I would also have the girls creat "camp names" instead of using their real names. That way you built in an additional safety net. Make sure that the sites is password protected. Some of the freebee sites do not allow this feature but the National Guidlines require this. There are work arounds but you should talk to your local council about this.

As far as the Yahoo chat line is concerned, you might was to verify that the security measures are in place as required by National. What was ok a few years ago is not ok Now.

Here is the link to the national guidlines (which by the way is not found on the nationa website)

http://www.girlscouts-rh.org/docs/webguidelines.pdf

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-02-2006 - 5:36pm

Thanks for the link!

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-03-2006 - 8:50am

In most cases, the guidelines are just that, guidelines.

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-03-2006 - 9:53am

If you cannot use a functioning calender, I would need a thing that specifically says "If you didn't get the newsletter, click here" and have my email pop up (unless you want something really fancy)

For Brownies, link to the sites that are suggested in "Point, Click & Go" And, if anyone works that badge, see if they suggest an additional site. (I made DeeDee go to other sites because 3 of the suggestions were already in her favorites list) Enchanted learning is OK. Making Friends. Family Fun.

Links to the sites for the safety awards. You know, the ones that go to Dhildren's Hospital in PGH.

Your own version of the Brownie Badge affidavit, if your girls work outside of the troop.

Links to the insigna guide or your own drawing.

Hmmm, I'm still thinking links, but if going to the zoo is your goal for a sale, I'd link to the zoo so the girls can get excited by it. Things like that.

I'll have to read those guidelines. I agree that Boy Scouts is easier but Girls Scouting seems more suspicious of the world. This is just the off-shoot of that mentality. I understand it. I don't want DeeDee's name out there for anyone. Or mine, for that matter. I do think that by invite only sites should meet safety requirments.

I'd may want to have parents sign a release. Even if you are using camp names, what if one of them uses the same name elsewhere and posts the area - they could be tracked down. It is scary.

Our Cub's site has dates, times, places and ADULT names. No pictures, no top sales persons. It may say our top seller sold $275 worth of popcorn and that he is a Bear, but not the complete info.