I need dunk bags

iVillage Member
I need dunk bags
Mon, 07-24-2006 - 7:59am

Has anyone made these or know where to buy the material?

I thought about using two dishtowels but figure the stuff won't dry.

And, while we are at it - if you are camping outside and only have 3 tables, where do you air dry your dishes? That would be the reason I want dunk bags, so I can hang them on the clothes line.

Pages

iVillage Member
In reply to: mama_bee
Mon, 07-24-2006 - 8:37am

I went to walmart and bought white mesh laundry bags lingerie size to use as dunking bags, they work great. They zip closed and have a loop which is great for hanging and they hold alot and are very durable. They cost less than a dollar usually and if they get ruined, they are cheap to replace. However I have mine and my daughters for years now never had to replace them.

Tawnya

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-24-2006 - 11:06am

I was hoping to use them at the Boy Scout camp and wanted to get an extra large one so that the boys aren't tempted to forget to return it. My rational would be it is for the small pots and serving spoons so we need it back NOW!

I am not providing them for the boys, but I will get them one to use. My crew is enough.

I'm not doing paper plates!

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-24-2006 - 1:57pm

Never made them myself--I just bought the lingerie bags (and actually bought GS logo dunk bags/mess kits too).

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-24-2006 - 9:38pm

Is

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-25-2006 - 10:34am

Bonnie,

This is 2 nights and they usually seem to use paper. YIKES.

I told them to bring them, and since they are the brothers of girl scouts (or close to girl scout families) I assume they will know what I'm after.

I just thought a BIG pink one to loan to the ones who don't would be a good idea.

I'm kidding, pink would be hazing, I can't do anything that will embarrass them. I can make it too big to be practical for personal use and then pack wet gear in it.

I looked at Wally world last night, no fabric. I have to make a trip to Joannes.

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-25-2006 - 9:13pm

I've used handywipes for cheap, not terribly durable dunk bags.
Sew two of them together, and weave a piece of gimp through the top for the draw string.

Now...with handywipes you could even get your pink - but I think they make blue ones as well.

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-26-2006 - 11:20am

For our first mess kits, we got some fine pink mesh at the WalMart and I had my mom sew up both sides and roll the top back then we used rainbow colored shoe laces for the drawstring. We had cheap pink dishes and plasticware inside...very cute for my 5 year old and her friend. Since then, our Brownie troop made their own mess kits with the lingerie bags from WalMart and the green/orange/blue/red summer plasticware that's so cheap. If you want to make sure you could tell your mesh bag apart from the others, run some yarn or plastic lacing through the holes around the edges or lace up a star or other design on one side. But those are great with the zipper...although only half of the ones I got had that little loop to hang it up with.

Good Luck
Jen

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-26-2006 - 3:39pm
So, regular netting will work, and won't melt if it is in boiling water or did you use the sterilizing tablets?
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-26-2006 - 11:55pm

I would not use boiling water at all.

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-27-2006 - 9:20am

Where do you get those tablets?

At the Level I training, the trainer recommended the boiling water because if you use the wrong amount of bleach, or the wrong temperture, it won't work.

I hate the bleach because every time we use it, we have at least one little girl with sensitive skin who gets really red.

I don't think I should use the bleach at this site, due to disposal issues.

Pages