What's your role?

iVillage Member
What's your role?
Tue, 08-29-2006 - 9:25am

How are you involved in Scouting, Guiding or 4-H?

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-30-2006 - 12:22am
I'm in the Mom/Supporter role.

spring3bb.jpg picture by rspruill
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-30-2006 - 12:41pm

I'm a Boy Scout troop committee member (oldest DS is a Life Scout, working toward Eagle) and I'm Cubmaster of my youngest son's Pack (he's a 2nd year Webelo).

I was a Girl Scout through Cadet. My mom was a Brownie leader and den mother. My oldest brother is an Eagle Scout, as is my uncle. My husband was a district executive for the Boy Scouts for a while, and his brother is a Scoutmaster and sister-in-law is a council trainer.

We're a Scouting family!

Elizabeth

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-03-2006 - 5:09pm

I'm a mom of a Junior Girl Scout and co-leader of her troop. Co-leader is as far as I'm willing/able to take it. Leader would be too much for me due to my teaching and anything wider out would be even more difficult.

(I will soon be a mom of a 4-Her and possibly a volunteer, but not if they do EVERYTHING in school..I can only help after-school/weekends since I'm a teacher at another school.)

I was in Brownies in 3rd grade, my mom was the leader. I was in 4-H in 4th grade and 12th grade.

About the extent of my experience with Boy Scouts is that my step-brother was a Cub Scout for a couple years and I just bought popcorn from a former student..lol.

Alysha

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-04-2006 - 3:30pm

I am a 01 Leader for my Daughters Junior Troop. * wish me luck, have a new 02 this yr*..
I was my sons cubscout leader for his entire time in cubs.. I am a active parent in Boyscouts but a inactive Assistant Scout Master..confusing huh..lol...I am working hard on getting back into the swing of BoyScouts. My son wants me there..
I was not in scouts as a Child. boohoo poor me..lol Didn't even know they existed here.But have since found out they did
I am on y 5th yr with DD and 7th yr with son ...

Tammy

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-04-2006 - 3:57pm

Good for you!

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-04-2006 - 4:18pm

my old one who is a very very good friend moved away in Feb. She is a great friend but really sucked as a Co leader. She would sign up for trainings and then not go. Told me the entire time she had her CPR/First aid training but never had the card with her. Since found out she didn't have it. Barely made it to any meetings even the ones she was in charge of. When she did she was ill prepared. She is also a very very uptight person and that made it hard for her to relax and just let the girls ''go'' so it made for times to not be as enjoyable as they could have been if she would have just relaxed.. But, I had one at least in name...During the times I needed her as my Co leader to step up and take charge. She let me down big time. Like with my Mother dying. She could have stepped up and took over the meetings. But she didn't so we cancelled a month of meetings. When I had my kidney surgery this summer. I had the unexpected Surgery on Thursday, we had a camping trip that weekend. Instead of stepping up and saying I will go so the girls can still go * she was not going*. She said Oh well, guess the girls wont' be going. Another Troop leader/friend called my girls and cancelled the Trip for me!! We were going with another troop. They had the camp training so my Co could have went so the girls could have still gone. but nope... My dd still went only because she is friends with the dd' of the other troops leader and they invited her to go...She is talking of moving back. I have already told her she is welcome to register as a Parent.. but not as a Co leader..This way I do not have to get frustrated by her lack of help!
Now my New one.. I have High hopes for.. She stepped up many times in the shoes of the other one who would back out of stuff. Plus like me she is extremly laid back and is a go with the flo type person... so that oughta be fun!

Tammy
I do have to say though.. That as a Friend, I could not ask for a better one. She has gone way beyond and above what a lot of so called friends do... especially when my Mom died!!!

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-05-2006 - 8:50am
Sounds like this change will be for the best then.
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-05-2006 - 9:52am

My dd is now a 2nd year Jr. GS, and has been a scout since Daisies. It is the one consistent thing she has always been doing. Every other thing she has flitted from sport to sport. And she is just as dedicated now as she was when she was younger, which makes me very happy.

But I've been Cookie Mom twice, once for the Brownie troop, and last year for her Jr. troop. That is 6 weeks of total insanity, which is definitely enough as I don't have the personality or the time to be a leader.

signature 
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-05-2006 - 9:57am
Kudos to you for being the cookie mom!
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-05-2006 - 7:27pm

I agree with Cathi...KUDOS to you for being cookie mom. I WISH I could dedicate the time to be cookie mom, but haven't been able to yet (first year--I was student teaching, second year--I was a first-year teacher, now this third year--I'm in an assessment year for teaching (sort of like student teaching again...lol)...next year I plan on starting Grad courses), and I just can't devote the time YET.

So, knowing how much work it is...good for you!!!!!

Alysha

Pages