Can a Camp Fire leader join in?

iVillage Member
Can a Camp Fire leader join in?
Mon, 09-18-2006 - 11:14am

Good Morning! I was just playing around and saw this board. I don't see any other Camp Fire leaders in here, but wanted to say hi!

Looks like there is a lot of long-term leaders here, which is good! I always like to hear how other people do things, etc.

I'm a long-time Camp Fire person. I was in a very active group all through High School and received my Medallion (equivalent of Eagle Scout) my senior year in high school. Until my daughter joined a group in kindergarten, I served on the local board. I've been her leader ever since and we have a great group of girls!! I've also served as interim director for our local council when needed! Thankfully, that's not too often!!

Hope you are all having a great day!

Teresa

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-19-2006 - 8:26am
Welcome!
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-19-2006 - 10:25am

Thanks for the welcome. Camp Fire is way down in membership in our area. When I was growing up, we had 250-300 members. Now we are down to about 50. We tend to have more groups in the younger ages (K-5) and they seem to drop out as they get older and more activities, such as sports, etc, become available to them. Our local Girl Scouts have the same problem and Boy Scouts is almost non-existent in our area.

The Blue Bird portion of Camp Fire was changed in the early 80's after boys were allowed in. They did not want to be Blue Birds. We divide our membership as follows:

K-2 is Starflight with the red vests
3-5 is Adventure with the blue vests
6-8 is Discovery with the gowns (my group's age)
9-12 is Horizon and they also have gowns.

We also have Family Community Clubs in which families (usually 4 - 8) meet once per month and do activities and we have Teens In Action, in which kids can join through their schools to do service projects in the community.

Our biggest struggle has been recruitment of leaders. We provide the training (usually about 4 hours) and then each new leader is given a mentor, which is a leader with at least 2 years of experience. We still struggle and have to turn girls away each year. We don't have any boys in our council right now, but we've had them off and on over the years.

That's about it for Camp Fire.

Does anyone have any good recruitment ideas?

Thanks,

Teresa

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-19-2006 - 11:33am

Yeah, we have a problem losing girls as they get into other things.