When your vest/sash is full.....

iVillage Member
When your vest/sash is full.....
Wed, 09-27-2006 - 12:06pm
What do you do? My daughter is in 2nd grade brownies and her vest is almost full. She wants to keep it for when she's older, so I hate to take any patches off. But I also hate to buy a new vest and all the insignia to go with it! The vests just don't hold that many try its!
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-27-2006 - 2:07pm
We are putting ours on the back. We pulled all of the participation patches and are moving them to a jacket. That way she can keep wearing them after she bridges. And, she can wear the jacket and show them off all the time.
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-27-2006 - 2:31pm

I've heard of people making a blanket into a patch place for all the fun patches, then there's room on the vest for all the earned patches. The blanket is large enough to put all from every year, and they can take it camping or to sleepovers. One lady I know has boys and girls and the boys at least attend GS Day Camp in the Boys unit so they get those patches as well and probably some of the fun patches that the troop does, so they have patches from everywhere on their blanket in order of when they were young to current, kind of like a timeline of events for them. My DD is also in 2nd grade and had already earned lots of Try-Its so I took off the fun patches I already had on the back of the vest to make room for more Try-Its she will be earning this year and next. I have the fun patches in a Ziplock and I've been thinking about what to do with them...maybe a blanket, but the jacket thing sounds fun too. I also thought about a scrapbook.

My brother's wife made a really nice display of his earned patches from boyscouts in a picture frame that was large and under glass, and she made a scrapbook to go with it for all the photos and things for him to keep. I wish I had the talent she has with that type of thing. It was fabulous.

Hope you find a good idea, and I'll check back to see if there are any other good ideas posted here for my own use!

Jen

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-27-2006 - 3:27pm

Another suggestion is to get a small scrapbook or photo album to place her patches in.

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-27-2006 - 4:20pm
In Guiding, only earned badges go on the badge scarf - anything from camp or just for fun etc can go on your camp hat or a blanket.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-28-2006 - 8:45am
Wow!
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-02-2006 - 8:51am

This isn't "official", but you can buy a sash and sew it to the bottom of your dd's vest. It adds another 5 inches to the length and you can easily fit two rows of try-its with some room to spare.

My dd went to Girl Scout camp after her first year and earned a TON of badges -- so we have the same problem. The back is completely filled with fun patches and I don't have the time or patience to take them all off.

Good luck!

Yvonne

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-10-2006 - 2:55pm

We told our girls to buy their vests big(LARGE) and then when it gets full they can get a sash and wear it too. It seems the GS should make the vests a little bit longer in length, especially since after you get the GS insignia etc.... your running out of room.

angela

My Photography Gear: Canon Rebel XT with 18-55 kit lens
iVillage Member
Sat, 10-14-2006 - 9:43am

I bought the biggest vest at the store, and then when it started getting full, I sewed a sash to the bottom and got 2 more rows out of it. My oldest earned probably 40 try-its and I got them all on there. For the fun patches, I have found that the best way to do it is to "fish scale" them. Once the back of the vest is full, I added the new patches by sewing just a small portion on, above another patch that was similar. For instance, I grouped all of the cookie patches together in one area, knowing that the next year would bring 5 more. Then, for the next set, I sewed just a small portion of the top of the patch to the vest so that it layed over the first ones, but you could still tell that there was something else underneath. When we go to events, her vest is a big hit and the girls love to see all of the patches. Another way I've seen is to just sew on a sash like a "V" onto the back with the point down, but I think that covers them more and looks awkward.

Good luck!