Small troops?

iVillage Member
Small troops?
Mon, 10-23-2006 - 10:44pm
Hello, I have a combined kindergarten/first grade Daisy troop.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
iVillage Member
In reply to: trbul_mommy
Tue, 10-24-2006 - 7:20am

When they are looking at you like, what is this lady talking about - are you trying to get them to do girl planning?

I found with my girls that they really weren't ready to participate in this in any meaningful way until about 2nd grade. They needed a few years to experience the program and what kinds of activities COULD be done. Just plan FOR them for now. Choose a wide variety of Try Its and trips and let them experience what their options even are. Let them make simple choices like what color of paper, or what snack for the next meeting.

But don't expect K-1 girls with no experience base to be able to come up with a lot of ideas.

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-24-2006 - 1:06pm

FWIW, girls that young don't usually "get it" and so you just have to make each meeting fun. When I was a Daisy leader, I felt like I was talking to myself half the time!

Girls that age love coloring, crafts and games. Read stories that are related to petals you are working on, plan lots of outings -- even things like free craft classes at the library or a children's museum.

The purpose of the Daisy program is to get them excited about being a Brownie, and to get them familiar with some of the basics like working as a troop, the promise, handshake, quiet sign, etc. There is a fun service project that Daisies usually enjoy: http://www.colorasmile.org/

You can print of the pages and deliver them to nursing homes, etc. instead of mailing them back to the organization.

I have a handout titled "A Year of Daisy Meetings" if you want it.

Yvonne

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-24-2006 - 3:50pm
I just feel like I'm talking to myself 1/2 the time, like one of the others posted.
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-24-2006 - 8:50pm

Thats how teachers feel also..lol...
Having more there isn't going to change that. It just means more of a distraction.
How are they sitting? It always worked best for us if we all sat on the floor with the girls in a semi circle around me. With the small troop it would work great because they can all be with in hands reach...

tammy

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-24-2006 - 9:39pm

We started with a small troop of 5 girls in first grade. Over the past 4 years, we have fluctuated between 8 and 17 girls (lots of moves, a couple with conflicts, 2 that just weren't as interested as their mother's were lol.) Currently, we are at 14 (7 brownies, 7 juniors.) We are pretty much 2 troops but since we have 3 sibling sets and a cousin set, we prefer to stay one unit.

Daisies are tricky. They have petals but not a tremendous amount of guidance as to how to earn them in the books. Since we were a blended troop when we had daisies (and we were meeting weekly,) they mostly did Brownie stuff after they earned their petals. Since you are doing twice a month, you could devote one meeting to earning a petal and the second meeting to learning songs, games, a simple craft, ect.

I think small is a very nice way to start. Look online for some special song and games for daisies (their are tons of them.) When planning fieldtrips and service, start very small and very local. Girls that age should be learning about their communities. Service at this age might be best done by donating some simple holiday decorations to a nursing home (oriental trading has some very cheap and easy packs that only involve glue.) Make sure the projects are things THEY can do as opposed to something their parents end up doing for them.

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-25-2006 - 12:31am

When I did Brownies (ages 7 & 8) I always had a small pack - anywhere from 2 to 6 girls, as it was a community of only 400 people.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-25-2006 - 9:49am

Thanks all!

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-25-2006 - 2:59pm

Just wanted to add that girls this age are into "doing" as opposed to listening and talking about things. (Although they do like being able to share one thing about their week at the end of the meeting).

One very successful meeting we had was games/crafts made out of recycled items (bowling with 2-liter bottles, balled up socks for balls, and we glued gems onto CDs -- they looked like disco balls!

Let them take turns teaching the other girls different songs. If you have a coleader, act out little skits that relate to the petal you are working on. When it is warm, have a meeting at the local park and do a scvenger hunt for different natural items (leaf, rock, etc.)

This age is a lot of fun because they have no clue about what they are "supposed" to be doing in Daisies and it's really like a playdate for them with fun activities. If you have a Home Depot or Lowes Home Improvement nearby, they offer kids projects and will sometimes let you come in during the week for a free class. (The girls LOVE this because they get to use hammers.) Then at the next meeting you can paint or decorate the item they made.

Yvonne

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-26-2006 - 9:10am
We had four Daisies last year and it worked out well.