Can we share fun ideas for the year?

iVillage Member
Can we share fun ideas for the year?
Thu, 11-02-2006 - 7:20am

I just thought it would be fun to share what we are working on doing for the year.

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-02-2006 - 8:20am
Sounds like a great idea!
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-02-2006 - 8:37pm

This weekend, Our troop is going to the zoo to earn Eco-Explorer Try-It and lots of parents are coming along for the before/after time of just visiting the zoo. And the following day is our service units Juliet Low mother/daughter tea party. We are working hard on learning the GS Law and doing one part each week...the girls are collecting a colored bead each week they learn/do something related to that part of the law and when we are finished, we will make a bracelet with the beads. We are making gifts for nursing home residents and will deliver them during caroling. We are getting to know each of our girls better by doing the caring and sharing try-it right now and we plan on doing a soccer try-it and an orienteering try-it from other councils later this year. And we should do our own councils Wildflower one this year as well. (We did our gymnastics one last year.) My troop is in charge of Cookie Kickoff event this year and we are planning to have a table at our council's Mall event for GS Birthday. There's probably lots more. Oh, and for service projects so far, we are collecting costume jewelry for use as bingo prizes at area nursing homes and coloring color a smile pages. And finally, we are planning little surprises for a Daisy troop that meets down the hall during our meeting times...today we went in and sang Make New Friends for them and introduced ourselves.

Jen

iVillage Member
Sun, 12-03-2006 - 9:47am

I had Daisy girls last year- 14 of them -
Last year we went to a gymnastic place nearby to learn to do cartwheels and learn about staying active, went rock climbing in an indoor gym, spent a day at a local park that has a huge pond and geese and everything, made ornaments at Christmas time to donate to women living in a local battered womens shelter, and had a Valentine's day tea party, among other things, most of the girls earned all of their petals.

This year our troop was doubled in size (we now have 23 1st graders!!!). We had a Halloween party with scary food (taverns we called gut sandwiches, cheesy hashbrowns we called witches brains, fruit pizza with the fruit mushed up before placing on top, we called it bloody pizza, etc.) and a costume contest where every girl won a prize (we were running around during the party trying to think of creative labels for each girl, then presented the paper awards at the end of the night), and did pumpkin painting with small pumpkins and stencils.

We started the year working on the Girl Scout Ways TryIt, made situpons and that- but did the smores in the microwave.

At our last meeting we let the girls vote on a troop song and a troop mascot of sorts. They liked "ging gang gooli" as the song and they voted between giraffe, elephant, llama, and pink flamingo as the mascot- the pink flamino won, of course! So we are now "Troop 273, the Pink Flamingo's who sing Ging Gang Gooli"... it was a ton of fun and the girls got their first real experience with silent voting and a democratic process (we wouldn't let them just raise hands as they would be tempted to do what their friends did rather than what they wanted, they each came to the table and "cast a ballot" ie- put a slip of paper with their name on it in the babyfood jar with the animal photo on it for the mascot, then sat facing the wall with hand behind back and held out the # they wanted for the song, ging gang gooli was #1, magdalina hagdalina #2, etc there were 3 songs to pick from, narrowed it down to top two then they voted again for the winner).

I am getting ready for a neighborhood Christmas Party that I planned with another leader- we will have 130 girls there. Each girl will make 4 ornaments, choose one to take home and donate the rest. Each troop attending (there are 8) will donate a gently used artificial tree and a box of solid colored bulb ornaments. The girls get to decorate cookies to eat and have hot cocoa and visit santa, too. At the end of the night, we will have a rep from our local Domestic Abuse Shelter come and a rep from the Salvation Army come and they will each get 4 trees and wrapped boxes with the ornaments the girls made in them to then distribute to familys they know would need the tree and ornaments. Kind of a larger version of what my troop did last year.

After that we are not meeting again till January- we will be doing a few things-
An indoors cabin camp in midJanuary with smores in the fireplace, hot cocoa, soup dinner, and the girls will make cinnamon rolls and let them rise the first night so they can have them with breakfast in the morning. Part of our work on the Make it, Eat it TryIt. If there is enough snow, we will do snowmen, too.

We will be doing a community service project of some sort for Valentine's Day. We are going to talk to the girls about it at our first Jan meeting, then work on it at the cabin campout. We don't know what we are doing yet as we are letting the girls choose what sort of people they want to help and then choose how to help them. I am hoping they do something for the local hospital for the children's floor- we will likely gently guide them in that direction! :) I was thinking maybe buying fleece fabric and doing the knot edges to make blankets or something... if they choose something else, I will save that project for next fall for a Thanksgiving project cause I really want them to do that!

We are also going to visit a zoo that is about an hour and a half away from here in April. They let groups come in really early and learn about how the staff cares for the animals, then they get to stay for the day for free.

Sometime in the months Jan-April we would like to visit a local honey-making place to see how that is done and also we live about 15 miles from the cookie factory where our girl scout cookies come from, and my grandpa worked there for 30+ years (just retired) so we get to visit there to see how the girl scout cookies are made in late February!!!

Our theme this year is Discovery- they are discovering how things work, how they fit into the community, and how things are made. Our neighborhood (same girls from this coming ornament party) will be hosting a Science Night in the Spring (I am planning, that, too- love the planning part!!!) We are going to get kids in from the local college to do science exhibits of sorts (like putting a flower in nitrogen and shattering it, etc) then there will be discovery stations each girl will visit to do stuff like making goo, making a bulb light by moving circuits, etc. Still working on planning that- I am trying to have a station for each area of science (physics, electricity, geology, etc.) So, if you have ideas, send me an email- address at the bottom of this post.

Last thing I have to say is this: our troop earned over $900 with our Fall Nut Sales!!! Woo Hoo! That will enable us to do the service project at Valentines day and to do all these other programs... hope they keep up the momentum for the cookie sales, too!

We are not planning anything for May other than an end of the year party as I am pregnant and due May 30 and my coleader is pregnant and due in June! We will be big and cranky- no girl scouts for us this summer! :) But we will jump right back in the fall with a kick off the year rock climbing party... My goal is to make the troop as varied and fun as possible for the girls so that they stay in it for a long time- with this many girls it should be easier, they look around the classroom and rather than being the minority in gs, they are the majority.

Anyway, hope you get some ideas from this! If you would like more info on any of our projects, feel free to email me -
trishiag *at* gmail *dott* com

trishia
iVillage Member
Mon, 12-04-2006 - 8:44am

All I can say is WOW!!!!

You have been up to so much and have so many fabulous ideas!!!

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-04-2006 - 11:10am
Thank you! I wish my girls' parents would see it that way! :)
My council is pretty big on service, but I just don't think the girls get as much out of picking up trash as they would out of making something for people in need.
One thing I thought of last night (the party is this Friday, I am always adding stuff till the end, to the point it drives me insane, I just want to stop thinking about it!!!) but it would be neat if we could get cheap disposable cameras with each tree- then a coupon to have them developed for free and include an envelope stamped and addressed to the council, so they can send a photo to us with the tree all decorated so the girls can see it in the house... I don't know yet- I have to go talk to walgreens and see if they would work with us on a discount of some kind.
I will let you all know how this weekend goes! This is the biggest even I have planned and I am soooo excited about it!
Trishia
trishia
iVillage Member
Sun, 12-17-2006 - 4:06pm

Just wanted to let you know- the Christmas program was a H U G E success!

We had 127 girls show up, from 8 troops. The whole week before I was stressing that some troops would show up without trees and I would have to explain to the organizations we promised trees to that there would not be as many as we had promised... Well, we ended up with 12 trees! A few troops brought extras. We donated 11, one girl mentioned to her leader that they had a Christmas Wreath cause the trees cost so much money, so we sent one home with her.

And we had tons of ornaments! Each troop was supposed to donate one box, most donated 2 or 3. Then the girls made the homemade ornaments, took one home, and left the rest for us to package and donate with the trees and store ornaments. The girls had a great time, they talked throughout the night about making things for people who needed them, and the news even came from two stations and did a night story on the event!

This was such a hit- I am hoping we do it next year in some fashion. One of the organizations we donated trees to was a local shelter and aid station for battered and sexually abused women and children. I was talking with the rep that came to pick up the trees and she said that one family who had been living in their shelter had been told that they got their new apartment and could move in on the 18th. The mom was so happy, but she was worried about the kids moving from a place of such beauty to an empty apartment with no tree, no decorations, nothing at Christmas time, she almost wanted to stay at the shelter till after Christmas so that her kids wouldn't be in bare surroundings on such a special day (they had left everything at home and ran to escape). Anyway, the rep had told her after I called about the trees that she would have a tree with ornaments and the mom cried and cried she was so happy.

So what we know is that the trees are going to families who need them and the girls learned about helping others. It was a great event! If any of you want more info on it you can email me at gmail.com, my name is trishiag (sorry I am not writing that in the traditional email manner, just don't want robots finding my email and sending me junk!)

Trishia

trishia
iVillage Member
Mon, 12-18-2006 - 7:56am
That sounds wonderful!!
iVillage Member
Mon, 12-18-2006 - 11:15am

Yes, we sent them a press release- though I have not seen anything yet. They do have a community photo page on Sundays where people can submit photos from around town and we sent the photos to that, too! The girls love the press and it really helps the GS name when people see we do more than crafts.

Trishia

trishia
iVillage Member
Sun, 12-31-2006 - 7:56pm

Did you donate live trees or artificial?

I just forwarded your e-mail to my SU manager to see if it is something we could do next year.

Yvonne

iVillage Member
Sun, 12-31-2006 - 8:05pm

Thanks to everyone who shares ideas and plans! Every once in awhile it sparks my creativity to add something else to our program. I really, really appreciate it.

The leaders in our area are not very forthcoming with ideas and suggestions -- it's an odd group. It's great that you all are willing to share information and ideas.

Yvonne

Pages