? on fundraising for religious award- GS

iVillage Member
? on fundraising for religious award- GS
Sun, 07-19-2009 - 11:59pm

I was going to ask at the GS office next time I'm down there, but I was wondering what rules we'd have to follow for fundraising for a religious award activity.

Next year, our diocese offers an in-between religious award called Kateri Tekakwitha for 5th and 6th grade girls and the trained religious award leader and I were considering taking a trip to NY to the Kateri shrine with the Catholic girls. Now, in our troop, not all girls are Catholic but all Catholic girls in our troop have chosen to work on the awards, and thus it's very obvious that we should not be using troop money for this type of activity which would be restricted to only the girls working on this religious award.

So, the question becomes... can we do fundraising as a Girl Scout group... but not as a troop? Or since it's a religious award made up of only the Catholic girls doing it, would girl scout fundraising rules not apply, but instead only the rules of our church- or some combination?

We've also got a girl for whom the family has difficulty even paying for the booklets and awards... so fundraising would be best for her... I'm just unsure what to even ask when I go to the office, I guess.

Any help here?
-Jen

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-24-2009 - 4:57pm

I would say that this is not a Girl Scout activity but is a church related one. Money raised as Girl Scouts belongs to the troop not to the girls individually. IMO, you should not associate any fundraising for this with GS.

Are you doing the award work during troop meetings? What about the girls who are not doing it?

I say keep it totally separate.

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-24-2009 - 7:44pm

GSUSA encourages their members to earn religous emblems, and allows them to be worn on the GSUSA uniform, but that is it.

Religious emblems are NOT Girl Scout awards.

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-25-2009 - 2:03pm

That's just how I thought it should be, but when I asked the paid woman at the office whom we are supposed to direct questions, she said as Juniors we can have 2 fundraisers besides if we participate in our 2 council sponsered fundraisers (MagNut and Cookies). She said it was girl scout stuff and had to follow girl scout rules only.

And we have separate meetings for religious award activities and troop activities, even though most girls are the same, there are some that are 2 only in one and 2 only in the other (but they will switch troops come fall due to the timing of meetings and their availability) and it will be entirely the same girls in both... at which times, we will have meetings specifically for troop stuff and separate meetings just for religious stuff (but I will probably include everything in one place on our website or newsletters just for parent convenience).

I've decided to go over her head for specific clarification and guidance in our upcoming endeavors so that I'm sure to be following the rules correctly according to girl scout policy and what doesn't come under that catagory. What she told me just didn't sound correct.

Thanks for your support.
Jennifer