I'm learning about sports.

iVillage Member
I'm learning about sports.
Tue, 08-25-2009 - 2:40pm

My son, who is just starting 3rd grade, joined the cross country team at school. They've been practicing since mid-July which hasn't been too bad. But now school starts this Thursday and they gave us the calendar for September (practices and meets). I'm learning just how much of a conflict this is with cub and girl scouts. We've got 4 of 14 boys on this team and 8 of 16 girls on the team from the den and troop I lead.

Generally, they have something every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. If it's practice, it starts at 5:30, and if it's a meet, then we need to be there by 4:00 mostly. This conflicts with Cub Scout den meetings on some Monday's which we have from 4:30-6pm and then there's a rogue meet that's on a Tuesday in September which is the exact day of the pack meeting. It also conflicts with our Girl Scout meetings somewhat. They are after school till 5pm. That doesn't leave the girls who are on the team and in scouts any time to eat or do homework. I'm willing to have the snacks that they need (fruit, granola bars...) be available during meetings for all, but they still aren't going to have homework time.

At least this particular sport is over October 10th. I know that we can make most of it work for my son and daughter and the older kids to make time for sports, scouts, school, homework, and food. I'm mostly worried about my little guy who's going to be just starting Kindergarten. If it's all too much for him, then I'll have to back off for his sake.

-Jen

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-25-2009 - 4:36pm

It's tough.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-25-2009 - 9:49pm

Congrats on starting Kindergarten!!! How did it go? Ian starts on Thursday. And he's not doing any activities this year. But next year when he starts scouts, it will be chaotic!!!

And about the sports/scouts thing. I know that scouts pushes to have the kid in scout uniform for meetings, but I'm thinking that if they have to have the running shoes or soccer shorts on, or even a full uniform at a scout meeting just so they can make it to both, then I'm ok with that... but to have the scout shirt on overtop of the other shirt.

It's going to take a village. I'll be helping to lead the den meetings so I can't leave until it's over, but I'll probably let my son leave a bit early with the other mom who will take the 3 or 4 of them to running. It will be strange leaving a Bear meeting with only a 5 year old boy and a 5th grade girl! And there is 1 day that I just can't make it to scouts, so we've already got 2 other adults to step up for that day in my place.

-Jen

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-26-2009 - 8:54am

D's first day was only a partial day with a parent.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-26-2009 - 9:06am

I've already thought about Day Camp 2010 as well. I knew Ian would be able to go as a Tiger with me, so I volunteered to coordinate the paperwork for our pack for daycamp. I'll make sure each den has their daycamp talk, pass out forms, collect forms and money, set deadlines, and be the contact person for our den... I figure I'll be there each day anyway. And we've always had a large parent contingent attending, so I'm not worried about walkers for next year.

Hope the second day of Kindergarten is more fun than the first. We don't really have a K orientation for the kids, which I don't like. But parent orientation is tonight and they go for a half day tomorrow and Friday. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it goes well!

-Jen