Free Website Hosts for Scouts?

iVillage Member
Free Website Hosts for Scouts?
Fri, 09-11-2009 - 10:11am

In another post Liza said she is looking for a host.

Our Pack is paying for a host.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-11-2009 - 12:13pm

I use clubspaces.com for my troop's personal website. It's free and you can have a password protection set up so only those who know the password can see it. It also has a feature for a photo gallery that I use for the girls. And I really like the calendar feature. And the whole thing was fairly easy to figure out and it has tutorials to help explain how to do things.

I'd say that during the school year, about 70% of the families check the website regularly so they knew which days we had meetings and who was responsible for snack and what special activities... times/locations/ what to bring...were. I started to use less paper for newsletters and often, I'd put the topic and write... see website for all details. We do have 1 family that does not use a computer, so I've always had to call and send more paper their way.

I also got a document from the girl scout council regarding personal troop websites and girl scout rules. I'll have to find that and post it here. It was basic safety stuff.

-Jen

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-11-2009 - 4:58pm
What about SHutterfly.. I know its a photo thing, but they
  My Photography Gear: Canon Rebel XT with 18-55 kit lens
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-11-2009 - 5:49pm
Scoutlander.com is FABULOUS
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-11-2009 - 8:18pm
Looks good!
  My Photography Gear: Canon Rebel XT with 18-55 kit lens
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-15-2009 - 12:13pm
I also use clubspaces. The only downfall I see is that your site isn't really searchable. YOu have to send them a link. But we do love it and use it very frequently.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-17-2009 - 10:34pm

By searchable do you mean the general public can't search you out or do you mean it is hard to search once you are there?

Liza

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-18-2009 - 12:07pm

I mean you can't type it in your search engine and get there. You have to have a link sent to you. Even once you are at their website, I can't find my site. Have to have a link. Which is fine by me. That way, even without a password, no one but my families is looking at it. So I feel good about being able to put photos and such. I am still careful not to put last names or addresses, or even phone numbers there.

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-18-2009 - 2:21pm

I have a rough site started at Scoutlander. It just seemed easier to use for what I wanted rather than trying to figure out the clubspaces and how it translated to scout business. This all might be moot if council takes issue with it.

Anyway, seeing as you use it, I am going to ask. The Knowledge Base page...is that like a forum page? Is there a page where you can post a sign up for things like snacks?

Thanks for all you do.
Liza

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-18-2009 - 5:49pm

I haven't actually used the Knowledge Base area, but it's basically a place where you can post thing that others may want to know.

Basically you can post anything you want there.
So, I suppose you could probably post a snack sign up sheet - - as long as you have given parents the power to edit/make changes there.

I've only switched my troop over to this site over the summer.
But...so far, loving the autoreminders for calendar events!