Looking for 12 ideas for winter projects

iVillage Member
Looking for 12 ideas for winter projects
Fri, 10-09-2009 - 2:59pm

Not really a scout issue but you are all fantastic about sharing ideas so I wanted to ask here too...

I am looking for 12 ideas for easy community services projects. I want to start a spin off of the 12 Days of Christmas. Typically the 12 days go from December 25 to January 6th. Instead of gifts to my children I want the family to do 12 days of service to others. My children are 2, 4, 6, and 8 years old, two boys and two girls. We are in a small town in the middle of Wisconsin so preferably nothing outside.

So far all I have is cookies to the Fire Dept.

Please help me with ideas. What would you do for a short project with kids? My goal is to show them the good feeling of giving doesn't end Christmas Day.

I have asked on the Christmas and Volunteering & Fundraising Boards too.

Cheers!

Liza in WI

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-09-2009 - 3:56pm

The one I like is great for all ages of kids - get toilet paper or paper towel or wrapping paper tubes and if not TP, cut them about the length of a TP tube.

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-09-2009 - 4:07pm

Make tray favors or placemats for Meals on Wheels.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-09-2009 - 4:09pm
Cute idea:)

greensiggy-1.jpg picture by my2boys

cubscoutlogo2.jpg picture by my2boys

Come join me at Scouting, Guiding, and 4-H.

Photobucket

Are you from the Midwest?

Join us at Northern and Midwest Friends.

1st, 2nd & 3rd grade board

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-12-2009 - 2:04pm

I always like colorasmile.org and making cards for soldiers. You could have them do chores for coins, then donate the earned coins to the charity of their choice (give 3 options that you are ok with). You could record them singing carols, telling a story or joke, or reading a poem, then send that to family members to brighten their day. You could have them write (or draw) for a family member they don't see much. You could bake a large batch of dog biscuits and take them to an animal shelter with some old blankets. Have them think of a service project they could do at home to help out mommy and daddy... that way they have to think too!

Good Luck
Jen

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-13-2009 - 10:34am

Thanks so much for the link to Color a smile. That is the type of stuff I was looking for. The poppers work great too for the EMS departments right for New Years Eve.

So far I have:

1.12-26 cards to the soldiers
2.12-27 MOW tray favors
3.12-28 www.colorasmile.org
4.12-29
5.12-30 Hot coco poppers to police dept
6.12-31 Hot coco poppers to fire house
7.01-01
8.01-02
9.01-03
10.01-04
11.01-05
12.01-06

Anyone have a link for the cards for soldiers? My son really wants to do that.

As you can see I still need some ideas. It is harder than I thought because it is after Christmas. I really want to focus on the doing part and not so much on the money part. We already give clothes and toys during August. We pick an angel. The kids save their bubble gum money after Thanksgiving to give to the Salvation Army Bell Ringers. The Scouts do several large food drives. I'll call the animal pound tomorrow and see if they need anything.

I was thinking of including a little card when appropriate explaining what our goal is? What do you think of that? Like when we drop off the MOW tray favors or something to the nursing homes? Is that tacky?

Cheers!
Liza in WI

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-13-2009 - 12:40pm

I don't think it's tacky. Just say something like

"It's the _th day of Christmas and our family gave to you a basket of holiday cheer!"

when appropriate. It would work for most of the things you want to do. And if they are confused, they smile, accept your offering, close the door, and throw away the little card... but the point is that your kids did service which is what you want and I think most people would really appreciate the effort and understand what you are doing.

And maybe make a little poster at home for the 12 days that your family does. That would be really cool to see how it all adds up to a lot of help!

-Jen

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-26-2009 - 12:11pm

What about doing something for an elderly neighbor or someone in your church?

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-27-2009 - 10:40am

Thanks for the ideas.

We already sing for a nursing home with the Girl Scouts and I guess my oDS will do it too with his Boy Scout Pack but I don't have details on that yet. Doing it for the neighbors isn't terribly feasible because of where we live. It gets beyond cold and we should have about 3 feet of snow drifts by then.

However, I love the idea of making the candy cane reindeer. Something we could do in the morning and I can have the older kids walk them while the baby naps. That is definitely on the list!

Cheers!
Liza in WI

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-04-2009 - 7:08am

Do you have a children's Hospital near by..?? we have worked before with the director in making cards for the kids...as well as THANK-YOU type cards for the nurses and doctors..nothing elaborate...as simple as a post card size one sides simply saying "thank-you ...for you !" The director said they LOVE them and it makes their day.

What about thanking ..not only the Fire Department..but a teacher...a library staff...the postman....church staff...or another organization you frequent with a dish of cookies...etc...A thank-you goes a loooong way...

Valentine Bingo