What to do with Tigers?

iVillage Member
What to do with Tigers?
Tue, 11-03-2009 - 12:30am

I am leading the Tiger den this year and I am at a loss.

I am not that great with groups of kids in the first place but my oldest has been in scouts for 5 yrs now (about to get his arrow of light) and I felt it was time to step up from committee member to den leader for my incoming Tiger. (I'm going back to committee member next year - den leader is NOT for me).

I have the boys come over after school because most of us parents do not want a night meeting. The boys all play together while we wait for everyone to arrive. We do an opening flag ceremony, and get down to the activity for the meeting. The activity takes approximately 20 minutes, then they have snack while I talk to parents and check off the achievements they have done on my chart. They are usually done and ready to leave in about an hour. My promise to the parents at the beginning of the year was we would be done by 5 so they could get home and make dinner and do homework without running into a late night.

I'm getting the impression I am supposed to be doing more- having them do skits or play games or something. I am getting a den chief because a boy scout in our local troop needs to be a den chief and I was told its a good thing because he can do the games with the kids instead of me (so I guess I was supposed to be having them do various games ??). What games? Red Rover and that kind of stuff? I have the program helps book but am not really using it because some of the extrastuff seems too elaborate for 6 yr olds and their limited fine motor skills and attention-spans, and I have my own plans for getting them to the Tiger badge by the Blue and Gold banquet. So now I am stressing b/c I have to give this den chief things to do.

Did I mention the meetings are in the great room of my house? We were going to move it to the school and have the boys go straight from dismissal to the MPR but now we have a new boy that goes to a different school and his grandparents don't get him from his bus stop til 45 min after the other boys would walk down to the MPR.

Plus, I have my 2 yr old to handle and my 7-yo daughter who is ok except she keeps asking me unrelated things during the meeting even though I have explained to her to wait. My husband is away a lot so moving the meetings to nights would not really help much and we would lose any daylight for the boys to play outside until the meeting starts.

So I guess my question is what am I supposed to be doing with these boys? The 5 den activities and 5 go see its are pretty easy to get done this fall and early winter without a lot of meetings (I have one or two den meetings per month (depending on holidays/school breaks), plus one go-see-it, plus the pack meeting). During our last school break, I held a "come if you want" work-meeting at our regular time for the boys to come work on rockets together if they so desired. Nobody showed.

Each meeting is really stressful for me. I am not enjoying this at all. My son has ADHD and I really need to focus on keeping him on task 100% of the time (he will literally disappear on me) but I have to run the meeting. I have zero training in what I am supposed to do and I am really really lost (I had no idea I would be this lost after having one child in cub scouts for 5 yrs already). I'm forcing myself through this year because I made the commitment but I feel like I am failing the boys somehow even though I am getting them through their achievements.

Help?!

baby growth

New and improved siggy coming soon (which could mean after Christmas)

baby growth

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-03-2009 - 8:05am

:::Deep Breath:::

Valentine Bingo               

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-03-2009 - 12:16pm

Thanks.

I am moving over the summer or during the fall so the parents all know I won't be doing this next year (and I am just going to volunteer for other stuff next year at our new pack or help out my Brownie daughter instead b/c she has asked me why I do so much with cub scouts but not with Brownies). I have a parent who is very involved. He is the only Dad that can make the meetings after school and he has already done a ton of online training and has joined the committee. I haven't talked to him about it but I am pretty sure he is going to be the leader next year. I am going to ask him if he wants to officially be the assistant den leader this year b/c he really seems to want to do it. He and his tiger are our parent-child team for this month and he has his den meeting activity all set and needed nothing from me.

OK - I feel like the parents are expecting more of an experience than I am giving them. But, they are also all (but one and me) new parents in scouting. The other one is a den leader for her older child and also a teacher so she is good with the kids and organized and can handle stuff on the fly. I guess we will all adjust. The first den meeting they wanted a precise schedule for the entire year ahead and I was still trying to figure out if the day and time was going to work for most/all of us.

OK so I guess what I am doing is fine.

Part of the problem is my older son's den leader is really really good. He is good with the boys, and patient, and is skilled at all of that scouting stuff (I can't tie more than a square knot and the other one that has a loop in it (slip knot?) and actually enjoys camping and whittling and campfire cooking etc... (that's another reason I am done after Tigers is because I am not a good person to try to teach this stuff since I cannot whittle without needing stitches LOL). So this guy is really hard to compare to because he is really good at everything about being a den leader. I consider us extremely fortunate to have him as my son's den leader, but its a difficult standard to try to live up to.

Thanks for your advice!

baby growth

baby growth

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-04-2009 - 12:49pm
I haven't been in Cubs in a while but I always thought Tigers had to have a parent with them at all meetings and activities - ??
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-04-2009 - 3:11pm

Were you given this information?

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-04-2009 - 5:05pm

Thanks for that link. It looks very helpful and when I have more time I will sit down and read through it.

My goal is Tiger Badge by Blue and Gold and then we can relax and have fun with electives the rest of the year, so that link is just my speed.

We do meet each month as a pack but we have 45 minute pack meetings and while we do kind of go by the theme, we don't really, if that makes any sense. This month, we are inviting Vets to our meeting and I think we were planning on making "thank you" Christmas cards to give out at the VA hospital in Dec. But we are also having an Arrow of Light ceremony for my older son and his other den-mates who are getting it. Our pack is really small. I think officially we have close to 50 kids but nowhere near that show up each month, and my den has 7 boys in it. No other level of cubs has more than one den. As always, I think the Wolves or Bears have the largest dens, with possibly over 10 boys in one of them.

baby growth

baby growth

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-05-2009 - 10:06am
Great ideas Cheryl !

Valentine Bingo               

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-05-2009 - 12:50pm

I think starting at any level is kinda hard.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-05-2009 - 12:51pm

Thanks for the compliment.

Photobucket