new here and feeling overwhelmed.

iVillage Member
new here and feeling overwhelmed.
Wed, 11-11-2009 - 11:54pm

Hi all.
It's been a LONG time since I've been to PP, well, iVillage now. (See how long it's been?) Anyway, I have a 9 year old boy and a 5 year old girl. I'm the Advancement Chair for the Cub Scout pack and the co-leader for my daughter's Daisy troop. The third week of the month I have scout related meetings FOUR NIGHTS IN A ROW. I'm beginning to feel overwhelmed, and Daisies just started.

We are doing the girls' investiture next week and the next meeting I am on my own as the leader will be at cookie training with the cookie mom. *note, other moms do stay at the meetings. Thankfully our troop is small, only 7 girls and we have yet to have all 7 at a meeting together.

Anyway, I am looking to start the Daisy flower garden with the girls in December and while I like the story and the activities to go with it, what other suggestions do you have for activities that are ACTIVE? The girls love to move. Heck, I made the Promise into a hopscotch activity to help the girls learn it so that they would be up and moving. (It was a HIT too!) Any activity suggestions that I can utilize to go with the flower garden journey and tie in the petals too? I guess we get to be Daisies for 2 years now so we can do the other journey next year.

Thoughts and suggestions are most appreciated. And if anyone can tell me how to find some balance between scouting responsibilities, being a mom, and working full time, I am all ears. Thank goodness sports don't start up until the spring!

Jenni
proud Mom to Christopher and Kimberleigh

Jenni

Visit my CM website

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-12-2009 - 9:56am

Welcome!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-12-2009 - 10:05pm

It does get to be pretty crazy at times with both cub scouts and girl scouts. I'm assistant leader for my son's bear den (2 den meetings and a pack meeting per month) and I'm leader for 14 juniors and 2 cadettes (weekly meetings). And my Kindergarten son just tags along. Once you get into the pattern of the meetings and activities, you can sort of "feel" the days that are calmer and the days that are busier. You can have your kids do bigger homework assignments on weekends or less busy days. You can do a crock pot dinner for the busy days.

I do not currently work, but I volunteer at the school through many of the days and I sometimes baby-sit. I'm sure it's not at all the same "feel" as having the responsibility of a paying job. Maybe someone else can give you tips about working full time and doing the after school stuff. Good luck to you in figuring that out.

And I do not currently have a Daisy troop- so the two years of Daisy's is a little different for you. And I haven't seen their journey's at all. But if you have a specific topic that you want to do something active for, just let me know what that is and I can probably come up with something! I love having the kids active and playing games. I know my girls loved learning songs at that level- especially the action songs. Keep in touch here. We all would love to support you and give you any suggestions you need!

-Jen

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-13-2009 - 1:42am

Welcome!

Juggling a full time job, school, home, BSA, and GSUSA, can be a handful! Been there - Done that!

Especially for those of us who have this chronic problem with saying NO!

At one time I was on the PTO board, Cub den leader, Pack Popcorn Kernal, Pack Advancement Chair, GS Troop Cookie Mgr, GS Troop leader, and GS SU Cookie Mgr. All along with a job and home.

What helps - Having a spouse who is also involved! Our family time WAS Scouting!

Utilize the extra resources. Songs, skits, and games work with both! Check out Program Helps crafts for your Daises! Have your son practice his leadership skills with his sister's Troop. Some of the outings your son's den/Pack went on might work for the girls too. Borrow ideas from the Pack to use with your girls. Take your girls camping and teach them to make foil packs. See about using the GS Camp for your Pack Family Campouts. Do joint service projects. Get the girls to help the boys with Scouting For Food. Have a popcorn sale at a GS event, and a cookie sale at a CS event. Find out who in the Pack has older GS daughters and let them earn service time helping with your girls.

Also, learn to delegate and share. Hubby & I would take turns going to Pack Committee meetings. GS co-leader and I would take turns going to SU meetings. The parents in both the den and the Troop helped out too.

If it gets to be to much, cancel everything, and take a night off to re-charge.

Most important - HAVE FUN! It is never a chore if you are enjoying it!

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-13-2009 - 2:53pm

Oh, you are absolutely right. I often use the same game with the cubs one night and the girls the next. And sometimes the same craft or activity. And absolutely share the camping space! We made it easy on my this last summer. I had the girls at camp from Monday till Tuesday and then the cubs and families arrived before dinner Tuesday and camped until Wednesday breakfast... That was awesome and a lot less work for me!

I don't have the involved husband... he'd rather stay home away from everyone else. But he will take our kids to do something special. I try not to do scouting stuff when he's around, but we have it worked out that he does his guy's night out the same night that I'm out of the house with the kids for scouting.

And I also let the older one earn leadership hours with the younger one's group if possible.

Great ideas once again... we can always count on you scoutnut!

-Jen

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-13-2009 - 10:54pm

Hi,

I'm a GS leader but haven't had Daisies in a while and I'm not familiar with their Journeys, but I know what you mean about keeping them active.

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-21-2009 - 9:04pm

Thanks for the great ideas but...
Since the merger of the councils (we went from 7 into 1 large one), they are really harping on "you must be a registered Girl Scout." That means that I am not supposed to bring my son to the meetings, events with the girls are ONLY with the girls, after all, my son is not a GS. It's ridiculous. I look at all the events my daughter has gone to that are CS events and being told he can't come to hers unless it is a family thing is silly. She used to have to go to the den meetings because I was in school, and he can't attend her meetings at all. I am floored by all the rules we have now. Maybe it's just my area, I don't know. I've been out of GS for many years. It's not like I remember it at all. I love the idea of joint service projects, but I don't know that we would get the okay for it. I really don't. Scouting for food would be a great way to earn one of the Daisy petals though. I'll have to see what council would say about that. Hmm.

Luckily the co-leader and I work pretty well together. I am the planner and she is the one who did the registration and got us up and running with council. I think I'm going to be the one to end up doing the books though, because she is a bit too cavalier about it. We have yet to open a checking account! At least neither one of us is cookie mom! I don't think we could do it. At least not this year.

I think I'm beginning to find some balance now that the routine has kicked in. I dread the third week of the month though. It's 4 nights in a row of scout meetings of one sort or another. Last week DH took my son to his den meeting so I didn't have to. It was a nice break. Too bad he isn't on the Pack Committee anymore (he was interim Committee Chair while we were looking for a new one) and this time next year, I'll be passing on the reins of Advancement Chair to some other lucky soul. I just have to make it through the next 12 months and I think I'll be okay. I can do that, right? Sure I can!

Jenni

Jenni

Visit my CM website

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-21-2009 - 9:14pm

Daisy to Daisy is a great game! We played it on Thursday and the girls got such a kick out of it. We are a small troop, only 7 girls, but right now, that's all my co-leader and I think we can handle. Maybe in the future we can bring in more girls, but not right now when we're brand new and still trying to figure everything out.

I'm trying to think of ways to get the parents involved. We lucked out and had a mom volunteer to be our Cookie Mom this year. Phew! One less thing to worry about. We had the parents help the girls go through the house and find some things for our arts and crafts stash so that no one would have to buy anything. It worked wonderfully and we got some good stuff. Now I have to go get the scavenger hunt patches. They'll love it.

I've asked them if they know of anyone who can donate things, but I think I'm going to try to find the parent interest/help survey and have them fill it out so that we know what we can ask our parents to help with.

I think once we are really up and running, it will be fine, it's just getting to that point, KWIM? I'm more of the planner/organizer and she is more laid back. I think we complement each other nicely.

Thanks for the support. I think I may be needing it, especially this first year.

Jenni

Visit my website

Jenni

Visit my CM website