What are your Scout plans for Dec 1-15?

iVillage Member
What are your Scout plans for Dec 1-15?
Tue, 12-01-2009 - 9:31am

We have a Pack Meeting - A Cub Academy: marbles belt loop, music belt loop, tent set up, puppets, masks, rope making, knot tying, USO collection box, cards for soldiers.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 12-02-2009 - 10:10am

Den meeting on 7th. Cub Caroling at Nursing Home on 13th. Pack meeting on 15th.

Den meeting will be wrapping tube socks for nursing home resident Christmas presents and I'm not sure what else. I'm leaving early to go to a meeting to plead the case to save our local (Girl Scout) camp that the cubs also camped at twice this past summer. Don't know what's planned for pack meeting, but I know many aren't attending- we've got dance class that night which we are also missing because it's a church reconciliation service that night which my girl scouts are participating in by doing readings (and that will be the FINAL requirement for their religious award that was mostly finished by the time school started. Hard to do things when we had a shuffling of priests!)

Girl Scout caroling at nursing home was last night (Dec. 1st)- all troops in area participate in that. Tonight is another meeting that the girls planned to teach the younger cub and girl scouts about a St. John Neumann to earn the Saint Patch for him. Then once the little kids leave, I'm explaining the program/property study document to them and asking them to Discover, Connect, and Take Action to save our local camp which is on the chopping block for no good reason. I've read the entire 75 pages and I've found omissions, inaccuracies, and mistakes as well as a lot of misinterpreting of facts and survey answers (the final of which is subjective, but the rest is objective). The property/program study meeting closest to us takes place on Monday night at Camp Trefoil Trails (Hermitage, PA) for anyone who wants to join me! The 9th will be a regular girl scout meeting. And the following Wednesday will be an investiture/ rededication/ awards ceremony/ Christmas Party meeting!

iVillage Member

The Pack Meeting went ok.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-04-2009 - 11:04am

Cheryl,

Your message sounds like you are kinda down about all of that stuff that's out of your control. Don't let it get to you.

People are always going to let you down. Just know that what you do is for your own children's benefit and if others benefit too, then that's great... just focus on your family!

Good luck collecting the dues so your kids can have other kids in their dens!

-Jen

iVillage Member

I am down - it's not just scouts.

Photobucket

iVillage Member

3 of the Scouts and parents went to dinner at an Italian Restuarant.

Photobucket

iVillage Member

We have a 3-troop meeting Thursday where the girls will be making graham cracker houses (i'm skipping the gingerbread!)

The girls SAY they want to go caroling but ....... from my experience, the 10 girls are WAY too shy to sing loud enough for those in nursing home to hear them. Plus I have 5 Daisies that can't read yet which seriously limits the songs we can sing.

This month, I'll be planning for the cookie sale, Journey program for Juniors (I have a Senior GS that wants to work on this with them as part of her Leadership award), helping Juniors start on their religious award (they've already chosen and asked the person they want to work with this on), working with Brownies on some Try-Its (I need to figure out which ones to offer them as suggestions), and work with the Daisies on learning Promise and Petals. So December is mainly a planning a month for me. :)

I actually feel really bad -- my daughter is a Junior and I feel like I've handed off all the stuff to others for that troop in order to spend my time with Daisies and Brownies. BUT, outside of meetings, I'm planning to work with my daughter and the one other Junior on badges and such too. So they'll lose me during meetings but have me at other times.

It's so hard since we have to have all three troops meet together due to lack of adult involvement.

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member

The graham houses are so much fun.

Photobucket

iVillage Member

How many of the girls will be Juniors next year? I'd work on one of the Kindergarten moms right now and tell them that next year, you won't be able to keep all the girls... they will have to have their own Brownie leader and you could still have meetings at the same time/place and share resources and help out when the other has a sick kid... but you can't plan their meetings too. You could even do cookies together to lessen the paperwork and such.

I made it as easy as possible for another leader to step in and take over for the brownies and daisy's this year. The woman who said she was going to do Brownies isn't, so they don't have any meetings this year. The Daisy's do. But I've now got 14 Juniors and 2 Cadettes, so I just couldn't keep the younger groups of girls and make a good program for my own child.

Tell them now, so they can see how easy it can be to do just one level. Have them come plan just one meeting so you can do "something important" with your own daughter's group. Tell them Brownies is the easiest because of the whole Try-It book. Let them taste what leadership is like so that perhaps they will do it often next year.

Good Luck,
Jen

iVillage Member

Thanks Jen

I've got one mom that is regularly at the meetings. She has two daughters -- one is a Daisy (kindergarten) and other is a Brownie (2nd grade). I've been working on her since last year.

Beth (my daughter) is a 4th grade Junior. There is only one other Junior this year who is also a 4th grader.

If we only have the same girls next year......there would be 4 Juniors, 2 Brownies, 4 Daisies.

I have a Daisy mom that would be great and such but she needs to do the training, paperwork, etc. I need to push her some more.

Our school only goes to 6th grade (and honestly we may have our daughter move to the public middle school for 5th grade) so I really don't know what will happen after this year. If both my Juniors stay in it next year (the one is new to girl scouting this year), then I'll keep the troop going whichever school they are at-- though I expect I'd have a harder time having the catholic school give me space to hold meetings, etc.

Photobucket
Photobucket