It's 2010! What's happening Jan 1- 15?

iVillage Member
It's 2010! What's happening Jan 1- 15?
Sat, 01-02-2010 - 9:58am

We don't have anything for the Pack until the second half of the month.

Photobucket

iVillage Member

I have to pull out my new calendar and write stuff on it... UGH

What I can remember-
Cub Den meeting Monday the 4th (don't know what we are doing)
Sunday, Jan 9th- Pinewood Derby Workshop at the one dad's home... he has tools and stuff to give the boys a good start and give advice to the new ones who choose to take advantage of it.

Girl Scout meeting Wednesday the 6th. Cookie Kickoff celebration on the 7th and the Cookie sale starts on Friday the 8th. I'm SO not ready for this. Temps today are indicative of what to expect for cookie selling season... (19 degrees F). Also another regular meeting on the following Wednesday the 13th.

-Jen

iVillage Member

I've not found anyone to host a derby workshop yet.

Photobucket

iVillage Member

The only thing better than 3 days notice to get everyone rounded up is 2 days or same day notice to try to notify everyone of an event! Gotta love it. I hope lots of the kids do take advantage of it... Of all the different religious programs out there that I've seen parts of, they all seem to be good and help to make the kids into better kids. Good Luck!

-Jen

iVillage Member

Wow you guys have more stuff going on at the troop/pack level - we don't do derby workshops or cookie kick offs or anything. Our pack has 48 boys and our GS troops in our area have about 100 girls total among many different troops. I'm moving next year to a much much bigger city and I am looking forward to some of this stuff, support, and more training opportunities. Sometimes I feel like I am flying by the seat of my pants.

I have a Tiger den meeting on Fri - we are talking about recycling, possibly building something cooperatively out of recycled items, making paper plate music shakers, and preparing for our GoSeeIt on MLK day to a tv station (woo hoo found one that will take us but only on weekdays at 11am, so MLK day had to be it), Brownie meeting I am leading on Mon (and giving out the cookie forms to the girls and the safety training), and Fri 1/15 is our official cookie sale start date and the Pinewood Derby car weigh in and registration (Derby is on Saturday - still waiting for the schedule.....ahhhh).

baby growth

New and improved siggy coming soon (which could mean after Christmas)

baby growth

New and improved siggy coming soon (which could mean after Christmas)

iVillage Member
I went to buy the workbook at the Scout Shop.

Photobucket

iVillage Member

Your Tiger and Brownie meetings sound good to me:)

Photobucket

iVillage Member

By workbook to you mean the handbook? or am i missing something?

-Jen

iVillage Member

We are in a small town. Our pack has maybe 38 scouts if I counted correctly, many of which are sibling sets. We just have a guy that has that kind of stuff and does this workshop day for our group. I don't know if that will continue next year as his kid moves on very soon.

For Girl Scouts, there's a core group of about 6 troops of juniors and older including my own and all of us leaders have become friends to a little extent. We like to have opportunities for the girls but there aren't any things local as far as council sponsored so we make our own... in the past, we have each planned 1 event to invite all the local girl scouts to... like bowling or a dance or the cookie kickoff or a mother/daughter tea. But this year we are all kinda more busy, so we are all working on all of the events. We each take a small part of it to get ready- like the flyer or making the contact with the location or putting together the swap or craft or figuring out what the service project will be for. It's kinda fun this way because for me anyway, it's adult interaction which I don't get much of at all! There are some new leaders this year for Brownies and Daisy's and we are trying to get them on board with this kind of thing... since they are new, it will not be a big change for them... kinda just how it always was before they started. The total girl count in our local area is about 125 now. Two of the troops have leaders who choose not to join in with our larger events and don't let their girls know about it... I think that's a waste (and sad for the girls), but those leaders also don't want to help out at all, so it is kind of fair too.

I don't feel that we have "local" training opportunities at all here. I feel that there are enough leaders close by that some of the listed trainings on the GS website should be occasionally closer than what they are. It is what we make it to be for our kids though and that's why we do it. It sounds like you are doing some nice things with your groups!

-Jen

iVillage Member
The Scout Shop is out of the God and Family Workbook for the Religion Award.

Photobucket