Does your troop/pack tithe

iVillage Member
Does your troop/pack tithe
Wed, 01-27-2010 - 4:19pm

to the charter org (if it is a church)?

We attended a BSA Troop visitiation last night.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-27-2010 - 8:48pm

I don't know of any around here that do.

-Jen

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-29-2010 - 2:52am

I don't know how it works with Boy scouts. Girl Scouts aren't really supposed to donate money to other causes. They are encouraged to volunteer their time. They can gather and even purchase items to donate. It's been awhile since my training but I don't think it's legal to just hand over a check or cash in Girl Scouts.

I do know that a couple of our local troops provide services for the church they are housed in like running the charity food drives and such.

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-01-2010 - 12:29am

Actually, my understanding of money in Girl Scouting is this:

Girls cannot raise money for another group. All money raised becomes troop money. But if the girls in the troop want to donate some cash to a specific thing, they can vote to do so... for example, the Juliette Low World Friendship Fund or WAGGGS or non-Girl Scout charities such as if a friend of theirs has cancer and they have it in their hearts to donate a portion or set amount from their troop funds to the cancer society then that is ok... they just can't specifically say when they are selling cookies that a portion will go to the cancer society. Same goes if a mom of one of the girls might have a heart problem and they donate to the Heart Association.

In my experience, although that is allowed, most leaders avoid it by just saying it's not allowed (either because it's easier to say or they just don't understand the policy). And also in my experience, although girls are allowed to vote to use some of their troop funds as a donation, they would rather take the money themselves and use it toward a project or items for the other charity or purpose. It helps them see the "doing" and "stuff" that benefit others rather than just the handing over of money.

Also not allowed is for girls who identify themselves as Girl Scouts to help fundraise for another organization... such as selling Daffodils for the Cancer Society or taking part in a walk-a-thon for whatever purpose. (But they would be allowed to provide a service that doesn't raise money for that activity such as passing out cups of water to the walkers.)

So, technically, I guess a Girl Scout troop who does use a religious location as a meeting site could give cash to the religious group if the girls vote to do so, but it could not be required of them or expected all the time. It would depend upon many variables and on what the girls feel is the best use of their troop funds.

If you looked at the Cookie Activity Pin requirements last year, it specifically talked about Philanthropy as an action that it wanted girl scout troops to consider.

-Jen

Edited 2/1/2010 12:30 am ET by jenlivi2
iVillage Member
Mon, 02-01-2010 - 9:53am

I'd love links to this material if you have it. Everything I have from council training says "no." The most we've been able to do in our county is donate pennies for height and that is usually what the girl contribution is not the troop. It's been awhile so perhaps this has changed. I do know that we were turned done by our activity consultant for doing a heart walk even if we paid for the entry fee and donation with our own money as opposed to raising money outside troop. We instead volunteered to help the walk which was acceptable.

I think it important not to look at girls who provide service over money as some how being greedy and wanting the money for themselves. Our girls do tons of important service. Several of their projects have been quite expensive with the purchase of equipment and/or goods to donate. Personally, I feel at the younger ages especially that donating time is more meaningful and age appropriate than giving cash. They need to understand what they are doing and who they are helping. They also feel like they've accomplished something.

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-01-2010 - 3:51pm
I don't have a link but I think the rules on donation money etc is in Safety Wise.

In the frequently relevant (to so many debates on Ivillage) words of Inigio Montoya from The Princess Bride "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

In the frequently relevant (to so many debates on Ivillage) words of Inigio Montoya from The Princess Bride "You keep using that