Curious about 4H

iVillage Member
Curious about 4H
Tue, 08-21-2007 - 8:09pm

I am curious as to what kids in 4H do. I looked at the website, but I would like to hear from parents with kids in 4H or from leaders. Kind of a run down of what kids (a boy specifically) would be doing-
how often do you meet?
what do you do at meetings?
do all kids have to raise animals of some kind? (we live in the city!)
anything else you would think I should know when considering 4H for my 3rd grade son

thanks!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
trishia
iVillage Member
In reply to: trishia5
Wed, 08-22-2007 - 9:00am
I hope one of our 4-Hers stops by and sees this message--but I can tell you a little.
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-22-2007 - 9:19am

After MUCH searching on the 4H website, I finally got to a listing of phone numbers for our county. Turns out our county program is based in my city! I talked to a very sweet gal last night when I called. I called at 8pm so I planned on leaving a message so that someone could call me today, this gal was working late and answered the phone. She is having the program director call me today to give me more info. Sounds like there are tons of project bases for them to go on, but for now my son would be in clovers (he's in 3rd grade, the program doesn't start till 4th grade) and there is a set cirriculum that even some teachers use to teach about the basics. Then next year his club could choose a path to follow- from astronomy to plants to animals, everything you could think of in between. It sounds pretty cool!

My little cousin lives way out in the middle of nowhere and did a project for the county fair, told my kids about it and my son is very interested in the group. He is at that age where he makes sure we don't throw away anything that could be recycled, he writes letters to politicians about any bills coming up that have to do with the environment/animals, etc. So this is right up his alley!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
trishia
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-23-2007 - 9:16am
Glad you were able to talk to someone!!!
iVillage Member
Sat, 09-01-2007 - 9:16am

I'm really glad you found your answer because I am a 4-H parent and offered to be a 4-H leader at my school, but our parish ONLY does it through the school system, so outside of the schools, I don't know what happens...lol.

They have to be in 4th grade or higher here, as well, so I might've told you that and it would've been incorrect for you.

Aly did Discovering 4-H last year since it was her first year. Don't know what she'll choose this year.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting