Do you all have 4-H as a part of school?

iVillage Member
Do you all have 4-H as a part of school?
Wed, 11-28-2007 - 9:26pm
My daughter is in 5th grade this year and one of the things they are doing in school this year is 4-h. They do this as part of the normal school day. Does anyone else have this in their school?
iVillage Member
Sat, 01-19-2008 - 7:29pm

Article in local newspaper states about 4-H: (Doesn't list an author)

"Louisiana is one of only a few states where 4-H is a co-curricular activity and is present within the schools in every parish. It has developed into an organization that seeks to provide individualism to Louisiana's youth as well as providing educational programs to teach life skills. These programs focus on science, engineering and technology, healthy lifestyles, and citizenship."

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

iVillage Member
Sat, 12-01-2007 - 12:55pm
At our school it is actually a part of class and every student participates. It mainly centers around presentations and projects.
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-30-2007 - 8:17pm

Yes, that's the way Aly's school does it (elementary) and my school does it (middle school). Almost all of the schools in our district do it that way (if not all...the school I student-taught at also did it that way).

No, you are not REQUIRED to join, you just leave class for the club meeting. At our school, we have once-a-month "Club Days" where all the teachers are aware of it and plan accordingly (no test on that day...only things that can be made up) and 5 class periods have different club meetings for about 20 minutes each (Beta-1st hour, Library-2nd hour, Science-4th hour, 4-H-6th hour, and FCA-7th hour). Not every student leaves your class for every meeting.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-29-2007 - 9:06am
Nope!