4-H happenings....

iVillage Member
4-H happenings....
Sat, 11-15-2008 - 8:06am

Our 4-H Club is doing an annual food drive next week. This year, the church's food pantry who we've donated to the past couple years actually called the club leader to make sure we were doing it this year since we've done such a wonderful job in the past. (I need to remember to pick up some food to donate).

They will be selling Mistletoe Messages in December--a candy cane & a note delivered to other students or other people at the school. They did this last year at my school and it was a HUGE success. So huge, that our principal did Goblin Grams for Halloween and is doing Gobble Grams for Thanksgiving...lol. 4-H still has dibs on Christmas, though. I picked up some Jelly Belly & Jolly Rancher candy canes (for variety) for Aly's donation of candy canes.

Students are also invited to make a wreath that will be donated to a nursing home. This nursing home contacted our school and both the Beta (which I am a sponsor of, and Aly's a member of) and the 4-H Clubs will be donating to. They will put a wreath on each resident's door and then have hallway competitions.

The photography project books weren't in in time for the November meeting, so she won't get her project book until December (I HOPE then because that would be great for her to work on during the Christmas holidays). She'll need to start her record book next week.

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-19-2008 - 8:08pm

They charge 50¢ per Mistletoe Message. Students can buy them for their parents and they'll receive them to take home, or if their parents happen to come to school, they can buy them then.

They sell them during lunch for a few days, and they deliver them at 7th hour on whatever day they decide to deliver. When purchasing, the students put down their friend's 7th hour teacher.

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-19-2008 - 10:55am

They are really active aren't they? It sounds like they have a lot of fun stuff planned. I think the wreath thing sounds really neat.

How much did you charge for the Mistletoe Messages? Just curious. I think this is a neat idea. Do mostly kids send them to each other or do parent send to kids? Do they deliver them during lunch or how do they do it. It sounds like it would be a lot to plan but very cool. My girls don't all go to the same school so I can't see it happening but it would be kind of fun.

Pyzam Family Sticker Toy

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 11-15-2008 - 9:25am

And one more thing...

I just sent all the school club leaders (Beta, 4-h, Science, Library) info about holiday cards for "heroes" (military). The 4-H leader e-mailed me back and says she has a bunch of cards on hand and will have them do that at the next meeting.