Do any of you recognize these symptoms?

iVillage Member
Do any of you recognize these symptoms?
Tue, 03-25-2003 - 6:48am
My daughter (23yrs) experiences these symptoms. She is very frequently (on a daily basis) nauseous-doesn't vomit but feels like she will, lots of gas, and lots of pain in her abdomen.She says around her belly button & below. A couple yrs ago she had h-phlori (sorry for the mispell). She has felt pretty good for about a yr or little less, symptoms started again about 4 mos ago & are progressively getting worse. She is a very health minded person. She's vegatarian, exercises alot, not overweight... She doesn't have medical insurance so I am extremely worried about her. She is not constipated, says she has bowel movements a couple times a day. I've have researched IBS, ulcers, gallbladder info. I'm not sure...I've told her she has to go to the dr, I will help her. She is going to try to make an appt, hopefully soon. I just wonder if anyone also experiences these same symptoms. What is the problem, what do you do to alleviate symptoms? Any input would be very greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-25-2003 - 3:04pm
Hi there and welcome aboard. Bear with me as I muddle through the new board. I do like the way it looks. Anyway to your daughter. I would definatly send her to the doctor. She needs to see someone. With the symptoms you mention it could be a combination of things or 1 thing. Her symptoms match a lot of diseases and conditions. Getting checked out will help her the most. How is she feeling today?? Keep us posted and welcome to the board!

Hugs,

Lynn

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 8:00am
Good morning catworks

thank you so much for responding. I haven't talked to my daughter yet today, but she is coming over tonight. Meanwhile, while she waits for dr appt, I bought her a "digestive help" vitamin. Don't know if she's taken any yet, curious to see if it helped. Anyways, thanks for your warm response.

Have a great day!
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 1:09pm
What kind of Digestive Help vitamin did you get her? Sometimes these things can help and sometimes they can be more harmful. I am not trying to scare you, just want your daughter to be safe and not to have anything else go wrong. Seeing a doctor will help her and you. Keep us posted on what you find out. Have her keep a diary of what symptoms she has and when they happen, if food triggers them, which foods bother her, how many bowel movements she has in a day. What they are like, soft, hard, solid, runny,etc. Anything she can think of to write down and give to the doctor will help. The food journal will help both her and the doctor, this way she will know what foods cause her the most symptoms and she can stay away from them. Has she been checked for Celiac disease? Keep us posted and tell her we are thinking of her. Hang in there mom!

Lynn

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-04-2003 - 7:00pm
I have the same symtoms. I went to the emgency room for them 3 years ago. I spent 7 hours there and they took all sorta of test. At first the doctors thought it was kidney stones. But they determined it wasn't. The doctor told me it was probably cramps. I kept telling them it didn't feel like cramps. Then Last Oct-Nov I had the same symptoms again. I went the doctors and they did a blood test and ultra sound. The blood test came back negative and the ultra sound came back saying I had a small polyp. (very small) The doctor didn't think that was the cause of all my pain. I was referred to a Gastroneologist. By the time I got an appointment my symptoms went away. I didn't go to that appoinments. In Feb my symptoms came back again. I called the doctor at that point but wasn't able to get an appointment until two days ago. The had me drink barium and some other chalky tasting stuff and take several xtra of my abdomen. I haven't gotton the results back. Since then my stomache has been getting worse again. It tends to hurt constanly but it hurts more after I eat for about 20 minutes. It tends to act up when I'm under a lot of stress to. It hurt right in my belly button area. When it gets bad it feels like sissors are cutting you open. I'm very active also and not over weight. I'm 5'3 and about 115 lbs. How old is your daughter? I am 26 now. But it start at 23.

Edited 4/4/2003 8:13:51 PM ET by KLHERM
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 9:24am
Hi there Klherm

I hope you are feeling better... did you get your results back yet? My daughter is 23, I believe it all started about 2 yrs ago. Actually it started when she was living on a ski resort in California. The altitude was really high up, she ended up coming home because she was so sick. I thought it was altitude sickness, but obviously not since she is still feeling ill. She tells me she is now chewing her food ALOT, and taking the digestive enzymes I bought her & she is not feeling as bad as before. I don't know if this is what is helping her or if its just in the "off" again mode. Let me know your results when you get them. Sometimes it takes awhile for me to check my msg boards since I am always so busy. But I get to them eventually...

Have a wonderful day!
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-21-2003 - 8:40pm
Hello everyone,

Ok for both of you in this discussion. Have you went to see a Gyno. I am 27 years old and have been diagnosed with both Endometriosis and Diverticulosis. Check out the message boards in here and see if any of these symptoms sound familiar. I have had very very painful times. I actually had Endometriosis in my bowels and when I had my surgery I felt great for like 3 years until this year when I was diagnosed with Diverticulosis. Try to have a high fiber diet and see how that works. I hope you all feel better soon I know how it makes life miserable when these things happen. Take Care

Jamie

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-26-2003 - 5:31pm
I'd be careful about giving her anything to take until she sees a Dr.

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-22-2003 - 6:46am
Hi there

I am new to the village and I would just like to say, see a dr. I was diagnosed with celiac nine years ago (aged 41). Just woke up one day with severe bowel movements. It took drs. and hospitals 18mths to diagnose. Simple diet and now feeling much better. At first I lost about 3.5 stone, was aged 41 and weighed in at just over 6st. I am now gluten free (most of the time, sometimes I cheat) and weigh in at 9.5stone.

Misst3752 (Australia)

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-28-2003 - 11:23pm
Hello,

My name is Lauren and I'm 21 years old. For the past year I have been having terrible lower abdominal pain almost daily. I have been to around 6 doctors who have done colonoscopy, bloodwork, and tons of other tests only to come up with nothing. They told me I had irrital bowel syndrome. About a month ago I started feeling nausious especially at night, and could not tolerate any fatty foods (which can also be a symptom of irrital bowel). I have become so depressed so I decided to go to campus health center and they ordered one last test for me...an ultrasound. That test ended up coming back positive for a gallstone and gall bladder disease. I was so upset that they didn't find this a year ago! I am still a little confused because I never really had pain on my right side, just under my belly button...I hope that this is the answer though and after my surgery I will feel 100% better. I would definitely reccoment an ultrasound for your daughter.

Lauren