I think we should do a roll call and see

iVillage Member
I think we should do a roll call and see
Tue, 03-25-2003 - 3:11pm
who all is here since we have a new look to the board! Ok, here are the questions: Your name of course...where you live; what condition you have; how long have you had it; What you think of the new look here at iVillage and what you are thankful for...ok...

Guess I will start first..My name is Lynn...I live in Iowa, originally from Ohio and have lived in Indiana, Ky, Ill. I have crohn's, IBS, celiac disease, inflammatory arthritis...this is new and so is the celiac...talk about changes...I have had crohn's for a long time finally diagnosed in 97 by Mayo Clinic. IBS the same. Celiac and arthritis...just this year. I like the new look...I always think change is good as if you don't change, you become extinct. I am thankful for a wonderful, loving, supportive husband named Mike! He makes my world go round!!

Who's next??

Hugs,

Lynn

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 4:06pm
My name is Natalie. I'm 47, married, one child (boy, 12) and I live in the Chicago, Ill area. I've suffered from IBS since I was a child, but it wasn't diagnosed until I was in my 30s. About 8 or 9 years ago, I began having symptoms of something very unpleasant and strange, off and on. I would get headaches that would get worse over several hours and wouldn't respond to analgesics. After a while, I'd also get very nauseated and would get chills, too. The headache and nausea were so debilitating, I couldn't do anything but lie down for hours, and I'd doze in and out. After several hours, I would begin vomiting. The episodes of vomiting would come in clusters, and might be just one cluster, or would be 3 or 4 over a few hours. After that, I'd feel better. Headeache and nausea gone. But I would often have bad diarrhea for several days after that.

Sometimes months would go by before I'd have an attack. But other times, I could have 2 attacks in a month or 2 months. I experimented w/ eliminating all kinds of things from my diet and lifestyle, but nothing seemed to make a difference. Once, I went over a year w/o an attack and was so happy. I thought maybe it had gone away, whatever it was. But then it came back and I had 3 episodes within a few months. After the third one, I went back to the doctor and described everything. He felt my side and said my lower left side was tender and felt inflamed, which lead him to suspect I have diverticulosis and was experiencing an acute attack (called diverticulitis). He sent me to the hospital for CT scan of the abdomen, and it confirmed his diagnosis.

All he told me was to avoid seeds and nuts in my diet and to eat bran cereal every morning. I've been doing that since (2 years) and I still get attacks periodically. I talked to him about it again, but he really didn't have any suggestions. He just doesn't seem very concerned about it.

I've done some reading on the condition, from some articles I found online. My situation seems to be fairly odd. Only a very small percentage of patients w/ diverticulosis experience symptoms severe enough to cause headache, nausea and vomiting. On the other hand, I'm not in the minority severe enough (excessive bleeding and pain requiring hospitalization) to recommend more extensive treatment, like surgery to remove the infected area of the bowel. So it's like I'm stuck in limbo. I didn't have an attack from June to Feb. this past year, which was great. But since Feb., I've had 2 attacks. And I've been extremely careful about my diet...eating bran cereal, avoiding seeds and nuts. Also, I rarely suffer constipation, which supposedly is a trigger. I just don't know what I can do to prevent episodes. They mess up my whole day; when I have an attack, all I can do is lie in bed for hours, feeling miserable, until finally I vomit a bunch of times, then begin to feel better. It's not a good way to live. It's true it's not that frequent, but I'd like to be in the percentage that never has an attack...or only once every few years.

I would really like to hear from anyone w/ diverticulosis who has experienced acute episodes like this, who may have any suggestions for what to do. I could really use some help...or even a friend to talk to who understands how I feel. My doctor is nice, and he's good and knows his stuff. But he doesn't seem to take this seriously enough to worry about it or to help me find solutions. I would appreciate anything anyone can offer. I really hate living this way!

I have many things to be grateful for. I have a wonderful family and friends, and I love living in Chicago. It's a fabulous city w/ so much to offer. We make good use of all the cultural and entertainment opportunities near by, such as theater, movies, opera, symphony, museums and great restaurants. There are so many good things in my life, and I feel truly blessed in so many ways. I also enjoy my computer, which has enabled me to get so much information on all kinds of things, and to find groups like this.

I can't comment on the new boards because this is the first time I've ever used a board at all at iVillage. So that's me in a nutshell. I really hope someone out there who knows something about this situation will see this and maybe can offer some helpful feedback.

Natalie

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-06-2003 - 11:56pm
Hi! I'm Julie, been MIA around here big time! Busy busy busy around here! I hate the new ivillage setup, but remembered tonight that I haven't checked in on this board in ages, and was able to respond to 2 posters, so I need to remember to bookmark the board so I can check in more often! The crapola of posting here is worth it if I can help at least one person.

I'm 13 months post gallbladder surgery. I still have anxiety attacks about it all, but they are few and far between now. I had a small boo boo on one of my scars the other day, and I picked at it to get the scab off, and I swear, I felt it all the way into my belly and it was CREEPY. My dh had to make me stop touching it because it was scaring me.

I'm so thankful I made it through, and that I can now talk about it with total strangers without bawling like a baby ;) I'm a wife, mother of 2 adorable little girls, and I am a scrapbooker. I'm also a born again Christian and proud of it!

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-20-2003 - 11:03am
Hi

My name is Ally and Im from Tennessee. I have had chronic pancreatitis for about a year ( I had acute until surgery). I had emergency gallbladder surgery Dec 23 after being sick since Thanksgiving. I was in the hospital for 2 weeks and fed through an IV for 3 weeks. Im thankful and grateful for my DH who is in Iraq. He is my best friend and soulmate. And also for my DS, I love how much joy seeing a worm for the first time gives him!

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-13-2003 - 9:52am
i was reading posts and came across yours.... i feel your frustration as i am stuck in a similiar situation (and happy to be from chi-suburb as well). you mentioned the seed avoidance which is SOOOOOOO true but are you considering all the fruits that contain seeds like tomatoes and cucumbers, to name a couple less obvious? also, i have a problem with broccoli, raw and steamed (cooked to death and it is OK). most raw veggies are difficult to process and can travel thru the intestines as hard little bits (like seeds).

just a thought for you from something i have learned and now avoid... good luck to you!

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-04-2004 - 9:46pm
Hi!! I'm Kelli. I am new at all this. I am 26 years old. I have a very supportive and loving husband for 7 years. (high school sweetheart) We have two wonderful and healthy boys. (5 and 4 years old) I live in Charleston, South Carolina.

My problems started in 2000 when I had all but six inches of my large intestine removed because it was paralyzed most of my life. (I actually thought it was normal to have a BM once every two weeks. How naive was I?) The discomfort was very normal to me and I just thought everyone had it.

In April of 2003, I had a sudden onset of severe pain in my abdomen area and had to go to the ER. The CAT Scan showed an ovarian cyst rupture. The next day the pain was worse than before. They decided my gallbladder was the problem then. After that was taken out that day, I seem to get better. Then all of a sudden I started throwing up buckets (literally) of bile. They then said I had pancrentitis, ilius, and slow stomach. After days of horrible pain and two NG tubes, they diagnosised me with SMA syndrome with a twisted small intestine. After yet another surgery in 9 days, I found out I was allergic to almost all the nausea medicine out there. (convulsions and such). I did not eat or drink anything for 3 weeks. The IV fluids and nutrient bags was the only thing keeping me alive.

I still have pain in that area. Sometimes it is worst than other times. The gas in my chest is excruciating. I don't trust my doctors. They all make me feel like I am crazy. I need help in finding a new one and don't have a clue where to start.

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-12-2004 - 12:36pm
Hi I am new here just signed up today .My name is Christine and I live in Worcester Mass 41yrs old married to a good husband will find out after surgery anyway lol. I have 4 kids 3 boys and 1 girl ages 17,15,13,7 I started having pains a few months ago and thought it was only heavy heartburn but that goes away eventually which this didn't. Had a ultrasound found out it was my gallbladder and a couple of gall stones. Which have to come out scared of surgery but hoping all goes well.
iVillage Member
Sat, 01-17-2004 - 10:04am
Hi There

I am new to this board, my name is Louise and I live in Weston-super-Mare, England.

I am 34 years old and I have been married to Graham for 11 years, we have 2 children Amy who is nearly 11 and Josh who is 9

I was diagnosed last september with gallstones after a few months of pain and sickness

I have been hospitalised twice with this. I had a stone stuck in my bile duct which caused jaundice and severe pain but they would not operate as my liver function tests were abnormally high.

I am going in on Monday to have a laproscopic cholesystectomy as I have hundreds of stones, I am dreading it and looking forward to it at the same time!!!

This is the only support board I have found on the internet and wish I had found it sooner!!

Looking forward to eating 'naughty' things again after my op ( I have lost 112 lbs mind you I needed to!!!!)

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-21-2004 - 12:21am
My name is Kama and I live in Indiana. I am scheduled to have gb surgery in 9 hours!! I have had minor attacks for many years but didn't know what they were. 2 weeks ago, I had a major one that put me in the hospital for 3 days until the docs decided for sure that it was my gallbladder and not my heart. I certainly do not want to go through another attack like that one so I am looking forward to getting it out tomorrow. I HATE THE NEW I-VILLAGE BOARDS! I have said so over and over again on another board where I used to spend most all of my on-line time. We recentl found a new place that is much more user-friendly and we can also post pictures and have chat at any time! That said; I do admit that an I-Village board saved my sanity 2 years ago. My 16 yr old ds told us that his 16 yr old gf was pregnant. He had such a great future and I was devastated to think that it was no longer possible for him...not to mention the loss of his most fun teen/young adult years. The board helped me in so many ways and after over 2 years, I am still with the group several times a day! I now have a wonderful grandson that will be 2 in March. His mother leaves a lot to be desired (too long of story to go into here!) so dh and I have started custody proceedings to get dgs. DS is in the Navy (now 19 yrs old) and in their honored Nuclear School in SC and still has that great future ahead of him that I thought he had lost. He is 3rd in his class and will be in school w/ the Navy for another year. DH and I are so proud of him and what he has accomplished. Also, the way he stepped up and has become such a great daddy. Since he is in active service; he can't have full custody at this time so it is with his blessings that dh and I are pursueing it. DD is 21 going on 60! She has recently moved back home and is working hard and considering a military stint herself! DH had a complete hip replacement last Nov and is getting along great. He should be good as new in the next few weeks. I had delayed a hysterectomy until this spring/summer so that I could get dh back on his feet before I had to be restricted. Now this gb thing has popped up but it shouldn't hold me back for too long. As my nickname suggests...we have cattle and other critters and live on a small farm. I also drive a school bus but only as a substitute now. Whew, what a novel I have written! Sorry but I guess I just could't stop!