sharp stabbing or throbbing pain

iVillage Member
sharp stabbing or throbbing pain
Mon, 08-04-2003 - 9:50am
does anyone here with a digestive disorder get a sharp throbbing/stabbing pain in the center of their chest after they eat? i get that sometimes along with upper left quadrant stomach pain.....
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-04-2003 - 10:13pm
Maybe it is acid reflux...I know I get a stabbing pain everyonce in a while with acid reflux. I also never know when it will hit until it does. My doc thought that maybe it was my gallbladder and ran all kinds of tests but nothing showed. Then he tested me for celiac disease and found out that I am a celiac. So part of the stabbing pain could be from that. Have they tested you for celiac disease?? Just a thought. Hope you are feeling a little bit better today.

Hugs,

Lynn

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-07-2003 - 9:56pm
Yes, I have had this same pain. I had my gallbladder taken out 1 1/2 year ago and still had the same pains! Finally after a trip to the er. a doctor sent me to a university hospital. They said that I have Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction. I then went through an ERCP w/ sphincterotomy and stenting. I still have the same pain! Some times I think that everyone thinks that I am a hypochondria. Now I have the real bad pain all the time. Next week I have to go back and have the stent removed. My doctor told me today that some people may have this biliary pain for months or years. Now isn't that good news. I am really hopeing that the stent removal will help. He also is putting me on antidepressants. This will help the pain he says. LOL I think he needs to be in my shoes for even a couple of hours. Any how, I am really sorry for the pain you are in. I know how you feel. Some times I wonder how I can keep from crying. I just thought that you might like to read up on this dysfunction or read up on Pancreatic sphincter dysfunction. Another test is called an manometry and ERCP. Good luck