Post Gallbladder Surgery Incisions

iVillage Member
Post Gallbladder Surgery Incisions
Sat, 08-09-2003 - 2:02am
I had laparoscopic gallbladder surgery on 7/22. I was in pain approximately 5 days, then went back to work-2 days-then off another 5, but didn't rest-vacation that was already planned...I say all this to ask, have I undermined my recovery, and how long does it take for the incisions to heal? Particularly the one at the navel? I have a red, scarred area with what feels like a knot, underneath....it still hurts when touched. Itches some too. the other incisions are approximating, but still red/scabbed. Don't mean to be gross, but I need to know if this is normal. I am NOT happy with the scars. Is there anything I can do about them? I am 34 years old and plan to have a child soon. I am just antsy about the healing process. Thanks for any experiences, advice, and instructions.
iVillage Member
Sat, 08-09-2003 - 11:39am
You'll be okay. Just keep an eye on them. They will take awhile to heal. I had my surgery in the middle of May and had to go back in early July because I was afraid that the middle one on my abdomen wasn't healing properly. The doctor looked and said that it was fine- some just take longer to heal than others. Within three days it was starting to close up. The reason that scared me a bit was that the lower one and the one in my navel, had healed very quickly, and the top incision was on its way. My top incision does hurt to touch (not seeing stars pain bu "ow! that sucked" pain) and is uncomfortable, but I imagine that will go away in time.

Hang in there- it will get better. Just watch them and if you feel they aren't healing well see your doctor.

A/w

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-09-2003 - 8:39pm
Itching means it is healing. And my surgeon said that lumps under the incisions were normal. It took a month or so to heal up completely. I had an infection and had to have a tube put in my chest, that was pulled out when I got to go home, and wasn't stitched up. The scar is the same as the other 3, but it gets sore all the time. I can't even have people touch me there or it creeps me out. The other 3, that were stitched are all fine now.

Good luck with having a baby!

Julie

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-10-2003 - 4:24pm
Hi!

Sounds like you are healing well, esp since the scars are starting to itch, like Julie said, it means it is healing. You will have to keep us posted on how you are doing. Take care and keep in touch! I use to live in Indiana too!!!

Lynn