Mineral oil = weight loss?

iVillage Member
Mineral oil = weight loss?
Mon, 03-07-2005 - 10:46am
I started taking mineral oil a couple months ago for a chronic constipation problem (as suggested my a doctor). Anyway, I have noticed that since I started, I have lost about 10 pounds. I have also been watching what I eat and exercising too, but I just wondered if anyone knew if the mineral oil might have something to do with this, or if it is more likely just a coincidence that I began dietary changes and exercise at the same time. Thanks for any insight you can give!
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-07-2005 - 6:17pm

Hi and Welcome to iVillage

thflowers-hahd23222.gif picture by Wren53B

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-07-2005 - 8:21pm
Thanks for your response. The way the doctor explained it to me - the mineral oil is a lubricant laxative and acts by lubricating the intestinal wall. Therefore, the intestines still need to work to contract the food through the digestive system, but since they are lubricated, things move more easily. He said it is not habit forming because of how it acts on the intestines. We did not discuss a time frame to use this, but I do not use so much that I have diarrhea. Without being gross, my bowel movements are much softer than they had been previously, but are still formed and not diarrhea. I still only go usually 1 time per day - occasionally 2 times in a day. Does that help? Is it still possible that the mineral oil could be causing my weight loss somehow?
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-07-2005 - 8:41pm

HI kc8eaa!

Welcome to the board!