How to lose weight with no gallbladder??

iVillage Member
How to lose weight with no gallbladder??
Wed, 01-17-2007 - 7:13pm
I had my gallbladder removed a few years ago (because of gall-stones) with key-hole surgery and I never had any problems with healing up, pain etc. but now it seems very difficult to lose weight and I believe it's because no bile from my liver is getting to my small intestine. Can anyone help with ways of losing weight without the help of that bile? Just to make matters worse, I had a hysterectomy some years before the gallbladder operation and people tell me that stops you losing weight, too. Is there any hope? Any suggestions? I'd really appreciate some advice from anyone who's solved this problem.

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-17-2007 - 10:24pm

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Glad you found us and I hope I can provide you with some good answers!

Bile is still getting into your small intestines. Now it is a constant drip, with no gall bladder as a holding area. That really shouldn't matter as far as controlling your weight. A hysterectomy needn't be a reason to gain weight either. Carefully monitoring your calorie intake and making sure you exercise, those two things will help you control your weight.

Start jotting down what you eat each day and see if you might be snacking more than you realized. Walking is a great form of exercise and you don't need any special equipment to do it.

My gallbladder was removed when I was 27, finally had to have my ovaries removed a few years ago (in my 50's) and my weight has never fluctuated more than about 5 pounds. I have many other health issues, but watch what I eat and walk whenever possible, in spite of some difficulties.

Is there any hope? Any suggestions? I'd really appreciate some advice from anyone who's solved this problem.

Don't believe old wives tales and tales told by people not willing to work at keeping their weight in check. It can be done, but like anything worth doing, it takes a bit of effort.

CL of

Photobucket

<
iVillage Member
Thu, 01-18-2007 - 5:49pm
Thanks Elise, that's certainly very encouraging. At least I can be fairly sure I don't have to get any fatter! However, I am overweight and want to lose quite a bit - not just stay the same. I walk nearly every day (but not today - we've had gale force winds and 4 people have been killed by falling tree branches etc)and I go English Country Dancing between twice and 5 times a week depending on what's on. I am eating more healthily and have cut out all the bad stuff - in fact I've been trying the Fat Flush Plan but only just started so I'll have to wait and see if that works. Have you been the same weight, give or take 5 pounds, since you were 27? I'm not in that situation. I was slim when I was 27 but now, at 59, I'm not. I admit I've always had real trouble resisting cakes and chocolate if someone offers me some but now I'm resolved - waking up my will power - to stop all that and try to get slimmer. I really could do with some reassurance from someone in my situation who has actually lost a lot of weight. I need to lose about 40 pounds!! I really appreciate your reply to my questions and the bit about the bile sets my mind at ease a lot. I wondered what was happening to all the bile my liver produced if it had nowhere to go. Thank you very much.
iVillage Member
Thu, 01-18-2007 - 10:40pm

I hope I did help a bit. I have kept my weight pretty much the same since I lost 50 pounds, back in high school. I come from a background where Dad filled the plates and expected everyone to eat all of it. I was always told that I wasn't fat, just big boned, but I knew there were smaller bones in there! lol

I have had many health issues, which may have indirectly helped keep weight off.

It does sound like you get a lot of great exercise by walking and yes, today wasn't a good day for you to be out...not with the conditions you described! Cutting out the junk foods is good, but realistically, you can't deprive yourself of every single thing that is on your bad list. The key is to find a happy medium...for example, a bag of Hershey Kisses does NOT have to be eaten immediately, although my dh thinks so. lol

If you aren't eating breakfast, start doing so! A small bowl of cereal with skim milk, is a good way to start the day and will help get your metabolism working properly. Many women believe the myth that skipping meals will help, but all that does is slow down your metabolism!

My weight loss happened years ago, but I can still help you stay motivated and hopefully some of our other members will chime in too!.

CL of

Photobucket

<
iVillage Member
Mon, 02-19-2007 - 9:08pm
Hi
I just read your post and had been looking for some information on this myself. I had my gallbladder removed about 4 years ago. Ever since I have gained a lot of weight that I have not been able to lose as I always could have prior if needed. I have read and researched alot about it and have talked to several other people who have experienced weight gain since surgery. I read and was told by my Dr. that your body cannot break down fats as well as in the past and some peoples bodies do not respond at all. I know that I am not imagining it as I'm sure you are not. I follow a regular exercise program and eat well. Actually, I eat much better than I ever have and weigh more than I ever have. In the past I never had a problem with my weight. I am convinced it is the surgery as that is when this all started. It is very frustrating to not be able to lose the weight. Honestly, I wish I never had the surgery now. I had only one attack and they didn't find any stones when it was removed. Unfortunately, I haven't had much help with this and now I find myself with more problems than ever since having the surgery..I highly regret it. I wish I had a solution but as I said I follow a very healthy diet and exercise regularly. If you find out anything about this ...please let me know.
iVillage Member
Thu, 02-22-2007 - 6:13pm

Very frustrating for you, I sympathize. At least when they took mine out it was full of stones.

I'm starting trying to lose weight again starting after the weekend - I've bought a PT bouncer (rebounder) for warming up for exercise and I've got a rowing machine, too. This means I can get some exercise even when the weather's bad. I'm going onto the food combining diet (I can't stand counting and recording caleries) and, on this diet, I don't have to starve myself though I'll have to go easy on the fat. I don't seem to be gaining weight now but I'm at least 30 pounds over and need to get rid of some for the sake of my arthritic knees especially and also for general health. I'll post any results I get.

I hope you will also post anything you find out that helps.

Best wishes.

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-28-2007 - 10:28pm
I had GB out several years ago, the surgeon said It was hard and killing me. I was extremely ill. I healed very fast and after a year my body seemed to adjust to not having it. Since bile is still produced, it breaks down fats differently. I'm sure you have noticed after eating something greasy like a pizza, it seems to go through alot quicker! Anyway, I believe weight gain is not a side effect. I did join the gym, I increased my water intake, lowered my caloric intake, totally changed my eating habits, (I still have a slice of greasy pizza now and then!) I added more fresh veggies, fruits, eat steel cut oatmeal-without sugar-I use cinnamon and maybe some fruit, use 1% milk-I got use to it,
drink green tea-no caffeine and no sodas of anykind! I have dropped several sizes in one year and am nearing my ideal weight. I am 50yrs and I believe our bodies slow down so we have to speed up. I love the gym, I crosstrain, take the classes and love my time there. I tried to do it at home - didn't work. Wanted to do houseword instead, snack or watch tv. This is my time there and I can focus on working out. I still work full time, but this goal has really changed my life and has given me more strength and energy! Good luck , you can do it!!! Don't give up and check out your nearest gym and cut out the bad food! I lost my desire for sodas, but still love choc!! I just eat it in moderation.
Take care!!
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-01-2007 - 8:02am

I am 50yrs and I believe our bodies slow down so we have to speed up.

Thank you for posting what many women don't want to accept. I

Photobucket

<
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-01-2007 - 6:03pm

Thank you for responding. You have given me some hope! I did join a gym a while ago (before losing my GB) but I'm on a pension now and can't afford the fees. I love my new rebounder, which I have only had 2 days so far, and I have a rowing machine to use when I'm a bit fitter after a few weeks of rebounding. (I got the rowing machine from my neighbour - swapped it for a child's bicycle I had in my garage.) NASA recommend rebounding as a very good way of getting fit and have used it for astronauts who have lost bone strength in space - it strengthens the bones - good for a woman my age. I am also carefully watching my diet and not eating "bad" carbs and fats but I am eating "good" fats and plenty of non-starchy veg. If I don't lose weight, at least I may become fitter and healthier!

How much weight have you lost since having your GB removed? How long did it take?

I need to lose about 30 pounds. I didn't put all the extra weight on after my GB removal, I was already overweight before (have been for 20+ years). I've put on 7-10 pounds since the operation probably because of getting out of the habit of regularly exercising. However, I am certainly finding it much more difficult to lose any weight - no success at all so far after 2 months of dieting - not even one pound! I used to be able to lose weight - about 5 years before the operation I was able to lose 21 pounds in a few months. So something is giving me problems losing weight now. Maybe it's partly an age thing but I was over 50 and past the menopause when I successfully lost weight last time. So I'm convinced that the lack of my GB has something to do with it even if it's not the whole story. OK so bile is still produced, but it's no longer supplied in an extra squirt from the GB at times when it's most needed.

I shall keep trying - I do not intend to give up - but it's hard when there are no results to show for my efforts. Maybe my rebounder will make all the difference - I hope something does!

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-01-2007 - 8:35pm

I shall keep trying - I do not intend to give up - but it's hard when there are no results to show for my efforts. Maybe my rebounder will make all the difference - I hope something does!

A positive attitude honestly will help a lot. One word that you need to lose from your vocabulary is the word DIET. Healthy food choices need to become the norm, not just something to do until you reach a certain goal.

Do you eat breakfast? Many women erroneously think that skipping meals is helpful, but breakfast truly is important. I actually eat smaller meals throughout the day, which helps keep my metabolism working well.

CL of

Photobucket

<
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-01-2007 - 10:38pm
Thanks for your reply. I lost nearly 30 lbs - 4 sizes over a 6 month period and its been a year. I lost it slowly because it is healthier. Focus first on health and fitness, then the loss comes. Thats what I did. Honestly, it's hard to focus on weight since I have replaced the fat with muscle tone. So focus on clothes fit. I eat breakfast - lowfat using healthy choices, good snacks-don't let yourself get hungry. Try to keep your blood sugar even. If you can focus working out on home, that's great!!! Much better than I could. I always have a water bottle with me, sometimes I get teased about it! I don't focus on carbs, just balanced food choices. Yes, I did have a slice of that pizza today!!! Tomorrow will be a totally healthy day. Good luck, keep moving forward, don't give up and don't let down days stop you. Work hard, get good and sweaty, crosstrain using core exercises and best of luck to you!!! We all will be cheering for you :)

Pages