Digestive issues? Should I be concerned?

iVillage Member
Digestive issues? Should I be concerned?
Thu, 10-22-2009 - 2:18pm

I had the stomach flu on 10-17.  The vomiting stopped same day, but the diarreaha lasted 3 days.  Since 10-17, any bowel movement I have had (loose or otherwise) has been a a light avocado green color, almost yellowish green (sorry, i know it's gross).   In addition to the color change in my stool, I have had an unusual amount of gas.  Sometimes it feels like I have swallowed a packet of that pop rock candy and my stomach fizzes and pops.  Add to that list, the fact that I have had mild heartburn on and off during this time, and not much of an appetite.

No, I haven't eaten anything green that would warrant the nice hue to my stool, I haven't eaten much at all.

I don't want to over react, but I don't want to let this continue if it is something that should be checked.

Any ideas?

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-23-2009 - 4:20pm

The color of your BMs right now is probably due to hyperactivity and a rapid transit time of your food through the digestive system. It is just the color of bile which is normally changed to a brownish color as it is processed in the large intestine. I think there is no cause for worry unless it continues for an extended time. It can sometimes take a week or more for your digestive system to totally settle down after a bout of gastroenteritis.

So, just treat your system a bit gently and eat things that are fairly easy to digest.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-25-2009 - 3:57pm
Try a yogurt/probiotic drink. They're just a couple of ounces, so it's not much to consume. This can help act as a "digestive system antibiotic." It works for me whenever I have diarrhea from prescription antibiotics, and when I have pain from Ulcerative colitis. I haven't had any pain lately because I drink one everyday. Thesed drinks kill good bacteria as well as the bad. The yogurt drink will add some good bacteria to help fight the bad that you might have. Try it anyhow, and see if it you can keep it down.