advice please

iVillage Member
advice please
Fri, 10-23-2009 - 3:32am

I am 30 years old.  I have been diagnosed with Gerd and recently the Prevacid is not working as well as it used to.  I am also Iexperiencing other gastrointestinal issues.  I have mentioned to Dr.s that I think I have IBS in the past and there response to me is to eat more fiber?  I have to admit I could be eating better as far as diet and I drink far to much coffee.  Could coffee cause these types of problems?  I drink quite a bit of this.  I am scared to go to the Dr. as I am afraid if they tell me it is something like cancer or something.  I think stress plays a part in my stomach issues too and I know I should get this checked out.  Just wondering if anyone has advice and if you know if the coffee could be making things worse?  Maybe I should try cutting out coffee altogether and see how it goes?  When I was pregnant my stomach issues were almost gone and I know I ate healthier and didn't drink coffee at all.  If I change my diet would I still need to make an appointment?

Thanks

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-23-2009 - 4:02pm

One thing I have learned about GERD from the ladies on this board is that medications may need to be switched around from time to time because they lose their effectiveness. So trying something other than Prevacid may help.

Caffeine is a definite trigger for gastrointestinal problems. That may be part of the reason that you were better when you were pregnant. It is also true, though, that IBS seems to generally be much less symptomatic during pregnancy. Why I do not know, maybe something to do with the hormones.

The kind of fiber that you need for your IBS is soluble fiber -- found in foods such as oatmeal, rice, barley, pasta and potatoes. Fresh fruits and vegetables contain insoluble fiber, which is also important to have, but should be eaten along with soluble fiber to avoid problems with the IBS.

I think it is important to see your doctor and have whatever tests he believes are necessary. Fear of cancer keeps many people from getting the care they need to feel their best. But if you do have cancer it is far better to know it and deal with it than to hide from it until it is too late!

Good luck and keep us posted.

Photobucket