Diverticulitis

iVillage Member
Diverticulitis
Fri, 10-30-2009 - 3:48pm

Well I am not sure how common this problem is, but it is not a fun condition.  I have it pretty bad, tests show that my lower colon is riddled with those diverticuliti pouches.  I try very hard to control it by diet, because I am scared to death of the surgery.

I don't eat nuts or anything spicy, or anything that can get hung up in the little pouches.  I just got over one, but watching my diet dilagently it was my first one in a year.  Although the list I have of things I can eat seems to be really small.

Does anyone else suffer from this condition and do you have any suggestions.

Susan

Wife of Greg, Mom to Rick and Rob

Grandma to Sweet Anthony

http://amazingcouponanddiscountdeals.blogspot.com

Former smoker and nicotine addict

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-01-2009 - 2:05am

Hi Susan and welcome to the board.

Diverticulosis is a fairly common condition, especially as we get older. I don't know if you have read what iVillage has to say about diverticulosis and diverticulitis. Here are the links.

Diverticulosis: http://yourtotalhealth.ivillage.com/diverticulosis.html

Diverticulitis: http://yourtotalhealth.ivillage.com/diverticulitis.html

Hopefully someone else here will be able to share some ideas with you.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-05-2009 - 9:53pm
The first thing to understand is the difference between diverticulitis and diverticulosis. Diverticulosis is outpouchings of the colon lining that get pushed through the outside muscle layers of the colon forming little pockets on the outside of the colon. These diverticula are thought to be related to increase pressure in the colon that force the lining out through the muscle layers. When these pockets get blocked inside the colon they can become infected. The inflammation usually extends through the wall of the colon. This condition is called diverticulitis. Sometimes the inflammation or infection is so severe that there is a small perforation or hole in the colon. This can lead to infection outside the colon that may require emergency surgery. When patients have more than one episode of diverticulitis it is generally recommended that they have surgery electively to remove the affected part. This is because emergency surgery when perforation occurs has a much higher complication rate than elective surgery. Diverticulitis if it is mild can be treated with antibiotics by mouth however in more severe cases, intravenous antibiotics are necessary along with bowel rest (not eating for several days).
It used to be thought that infection of the diverticula or diverticulitis resulted from eating large seeds or nuts however recent studies have disproved this theory. Personally I have seen many patients get diverticulitis after eating popcorn. It is thought that a high fiber diet may prevent diverticulosis (about 30 grams of daily dietary fiber listed on most packaged food. Once the diverticula are present they will not go away without surgery.

Dr. Ann Silverman
Director of the Inflammatory Bowel Disease Center,
Henry Ford Hospital, West Bloomfield, MI

Dr. Ann Silverman
Director of the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns =

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-30-2009 - 9:58pm

I am 38 and was diagnosed with it, I am on antibiotics and in about 6 weeks I have to have a colonoscopy. At least I know what it is and how to fix it with diet.

I love this board!