Irregular and in pain

iVillage Member
Irregular and in pain
Wed, 01-06-2010 - 12:01pm

While I was home on winter break from college, I had the most painful and hard time going to the bathroom. I went through suppositories, drank and drank water, and reached for an apple all the time. I do know I don't eat enough fruit on my own, but I am good about water. I would go 2 days (which is too long for me) with no bowel movement and then finally after 20 or more minutes of crying and pain, would go to the bathroom and then be good for the next day or so and then it would start all over.Each time, my bowels were firm. My mom suspected an impaction, but I kept managing to get it out eventually. I have never been through this sort of thing before. What could cause this? I thought I was back to normal, but it's started again. My bottom hurts, and it just feels raw. Also I have noticed, after the pain/uncomfortable bottom goes away, it becomes insanely itching around the anus. Is this a hemorrhoid? What are some things I should make sure to eat? I know my diet needs tweaking.

-Sarah

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-06-2010 - 7:54pm
Hemmeroids can itch or then can burn. I have had that problem from going too much! I had a lot of problems recently before being diagnosed with Celiac disease.. I was using "Tucks" those little cooling circle things in a round jar. i think they have "Witch Hazel" on them. You should maybe try using stool softners while having constipation, they just facilitate the stool to come out smoother, don't over use diuretics, you can become dependent on them
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-06-2010 - 11:58pm

It is quite possible that you have hemorrhoids.

Here are some steps for preventing constipation that I found in the Total Health area http://yourtotalhealth.ivillage.com/constipation.html?pageNum=7#7

And some information on hemorrhoids as well http://yourtotalhealth.ivillage.com/hemorrhoids.html?pageNum=1#1

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 01-07-2010 - 7:12pm

I use benefiber. Its tasteless and doesn't clump in anything. You can add it to anything...food, water, coffee. I put it in my coffee every morning. Its natural fiber. Also a stool softener might help until you get things

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-13-2010 - 11:31pm
I'm sorry you're having so much trouble :( One thing that I do when I get like that is eat salad. A lot of it. And I also spend as much time moving around as possible (walks, cleaning, dancing, pacing, etc.) If you have a willing person around, ask them for a middle and lower back massage (downward/towards the spine motions only). Even if it doesn't work, it can't hurt ;) Prune juice is a gross but common drink, it works for some and not for others. I don't have any medication advice for you, but I do know that Mylanta Max Strength (with magnesium, aluminum, and simethicone) made things move a bit fast for my liking. And you can always try strong coffee - my mom swears by it.
No guarantees that those will work, just letting you know what works for me. :) Hope the problem clears itself up!
iVillage Member
Fri, 01-15-2010 - 5:59pm

Thanks for adding your tips, emeraldeyes. There are some good ideas there.

It is good to see you. How are you doing?

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 01-17-2010 - 12:48am
Thank you! :) Health-wise, I'm doing well - I've improved enough now to be able to look for a p/t job (not that it does much good in the MI economy, lol) :) Planning a big move within the year so the stress has been pretty overwhelming at times but other than that, things are good. How have you been?
iVillage Member
Sun, 01-17-2010 - 2:47am

Glad to hear you are doing well. Be careful to keep that stress under control and not to let it get to your gut!

I have been doing well -- busy, but healthy!

Photobucket

Photobucket