I feel like I'm going to explode!

iVillage Member
I feel like I'm going to explode!
Fri, 01-15-2010 - 2:19pm

I have had digestive issues for quite some time.  I've had every "scopy" you can imagine and nothing was ever found.  Most recently (for the last 2-3 years) I go through bouts of EXTREME gas pain & pressure.  It presents itself in 2 forms.  

First is the "impossible to pass gas".  It's so bad, that I actually look pregnant.  The pain is so severe, I can hardly move and FORGET walking.  I have been known to take upwards of 20 Ultra Strength GasX pills in one day, sometimes 6-8 at a time.  Sometimes, it helps, sometimes it doesn't.  More times than not, I just have to wait for it to go away on it's own.

Secondly there is the "can't stop passing gas, gas".  The symptoms are the same (extreme bloating, pressure, pain, etc.) however in this case, I pass gas NONSTOP.  It's loud, it's obnoxious, and needless to say my husband and son make fun of me.  I laugh, because it is kind of funny, but in the end (no pun intended) it's a nightmare for me.  I have to hold it in at work, but the minute I get out to the parking lot - LORD HAVE MERCY.  I feel like a new person!  It's instant relief.

With both of these problems (more so with the first type of gas) I also get this bizarre "popcorn popping" sensation along the left side of my stomach/abdomen from like the bottom of my ribs to the top of my hip.  It goes on & on for hours sometimes.  It doesn't make any noise, but I can really feel it.  It doesn't hurt, but it's extremely noticeable and annoying. 

I went to see a gastro doc two different times.  The first guy insisted on doing an upper endoscopy.  I tried to tell him that wasn't the end I was having problems with!!!  Of course, the results were normal. The second visit was to a dr. at the same practice and she wanted to do a colonoscopy.  She didn't find anything abnormal.  I then did some kind of a test where I had to blow into a tube every 15 minutes for 4 hours.  Such fun!  I sat in the waiting room as people came and left... UGH! I guess the only "good" thing was that after about 90 minutes the blows were scoring off the chart so they new what to treat, so I didn't have to stay for the full 4 hours.  It was some kind of bacteria that had gone haywire in my system and they gave me meds for it.  Sure enough, the popcorn popping and gas stopped within 3-4 days of taking the meds, and didn't come back for almost  a year.  The problem started up again, so I called to get more meds, they wouldn't give them to me and told me they wanted to do MORE test.  What the heck???  I don't have time for that and I think it's pretty useless. 

Do you guys think there could be more to it?  Should I go ahead with the other tests?  Should I just insist she give me the meds?  In the interim, any ideas how to alleviate this horrible gas problem? 

Thanks.

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-15-2010 - 4:55pm
You've probably been asked this a thousand times, but have you kept a food diary? One thing I've noticed in my own situation is that some foods don't cause gas at first, but after a while they do (peanut butter is a big one, it doesn't start causing problems until I eat it for a few days in a row and then I have to take about a week off from it.) I hope it's as simple as that for you.
You said they found some wayward bacteria last time. Did they actually try to figure out what had caused it or did they just treat it? If the symptoms are the exact same, I'd say you should ask them if you can at least try the meds and see if they work, so long as the meds won't do any harm if it ISN'T the same problem. But they should really try to find the cause, and maybe that's what they're attempting to do. Ask them their reasons for wanting to do more tests and then make a judgment from there - if the tests still seem like a waste of time, get another opinion.
Personal question: Are your bm's normal? I have ibs-a, and I get horrible gas pain especially at the transitions. Just because you don't get extreme constipation or diarrhea doesn't mean you can rule out ibs.
As for how to get rid of it... can't help you there. Gas-x strips work fine for me. Have you taken probiotics before? I have no experience with them, but I've heard good things. Maybe a ginger capsule might help - they make me burp, so maybe it would work to get rid of things the other way. And I've also heard good things about peppermint tea or capsules. Be careful with those if you're prone to acid reflux/heartburn though.
Good luck! :)
iVillage Member
Fri, 01-15-2010 - 6:06pm

Sorry to hear you are having such bad problems with gas.

I think emeraldeyes has given you some very good advice. I agree that you should talk with the doctor about why they want more tests and what difference the tests could make to the course of treatment.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 01-16-2010 - 2:15pm

OK, you say you have had the "scopes" Did the GI Dr. do a "small bowel series" To do this you have to drink barium(tastes like mylanta) Is your gas really foul smelling? You say you feel like popcorn popping in your ribs area? Well so did I, a lot, I described it like